Combining Flavors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keezawitch

Reaction score
<_< If I combine stout with real ale (in the can) what will i get.

I give up... maybe a "Real Stout Ale".

What's the joke?

its not a joke, i am really new to brewing and want to create flavors so i was wondering what flavor i would get, would it be like black and tan you get in the pub (or maybe used to get i dont go to pub)

Try it and find out. You are doing what is referred to here as a 'toucan' (as in 'two can'). I have a feeling someone will have done that recipe before. It will create a reasonably strong beer, with a fairly decent IBU level. I'd imagine it will wind up being around 60 IBU, depending on what the two kits were (assuming around 30 for each can).

Try it and find out. You are doing what is referred to here as a 'toucan' (as in 'two can'). I have a feeling someone will have done that recipe before. It will create a reasonably strong beer, with a fairly decent IBU level. I'd imagine it will wind up being around 60 IBU, depending on what the two kits were (assuming around 30 for each can).

OK I know I am dumb what the hell is IBU, thinking of using only half a can of each so if its horrible i can make up half quantity of stout and half quantity of ale and if it is good just mix them together again. Son has requested i try a draught next so gives me plenty of time before i experiment.

Assuming this is not some sort of wind up..
Ibu is the measurement of bitterness, few different formukas for calculating. I think coopers publish the ibu of their kits, 60 is fairly bitter.

International Bittering units - standard measure of how much bittering isomerised alpha acid is in the beer.

Most grain based HB is probably theorised rather than actual (it can be measured) but your kit tins will presumably have been measured and should be reliable if made to instruction.

If you make a toucan with that you will probably get a bitterish dark ale or porter type brew. Could be lovely if you like strong bitter beers (and the bitterness could be balanced out with some malt extract).

The Coopers Bew Cans page lists the total IBUs in each 1.7kg can.

Don't know if it's as straightforward as just dividing the total IBU by the
total brew volume but the Stout and Real cans (asuming you're talking
about Coopers) will have a combined total IBU of 1270 IBUs and would
end up as 55 IBU level of bitterness if brewed to 23 litres, which would
be fairly bitter - can be balanced by extra sweetness.

Ianh's Excel kit spreadsheet tool is good to play around with estimating
bitterness/sweetness/...

Assuming this is not some sort of wind up..
Ibu is the measurement of bitterness, few different formukas for calculating. I think coopers publish the ibu of their kits, 60 is fairly bitter.

NO this isnt a wind up, as i said this is the first time i have brewed, so i really appreciate the help, i will start reading the ibu on the cans and record as i go when i start to experiment so each time i have an idea of what is happening, thank you

International Bittering units - standard measure of how much bittering isomerised alpha acid is in the beer.

Most grain based HB is probably theorised rather than actual (it can be measured) but your kit tins will presumably have been measured and should be reliable if made to instruction.

If you make a toucan with that you will probably get a bitterish dark ale or porter type brew. Could be lovely if you like strong bitter beers (and the bitterness could be balanced out with some malt extract).

So tell me if i am on the right track, the bitterness is from the grain used and the longer the grain is roasted the more bitter the flavor, if this is correct (as I dont like too much bitter but like the maltiness of stout) I would be better to add a sweeter/paler mix to the stout, if i am right would a lager be better to cut the bitterness but keep maltiness, kind of like a sweetish stout is what i am thinking of.

Bitterness comes from hops. have a read of this. It's not the be all and end all but it's a good start for those starting out. yes, read the whole book

While dark grains will contribute a small amount of bitterness, most of the bitterness in a beer comes from the hops and this is what the IBU is a measurement of.

If you don't like bitter beer, make a toucan with some malt extract, a dark ale tin and the stout tin instead.

For sweet stout, add some lactose in. (200 - 500g)

55 isn't very bitter. It depends what stout you want. If you want export stout use 2 cans and some black patent along with some LDME.

Bitterness comes from hops. have a read of this. It's not the be all and end all but it's a good start for those starting out. yes, read the whole book

thanks and now you have jogged my memory, i am as dense as two bricks sometimes, i had been told that, I would like to purchase the book, easier for me to get through it as i am on the go alot and not near my comp but take books to read when i get a minute, could anyone tell me where to get the first edition please.

While dark grains will contribute a small amount of bitterness, most of the bitterness in a beer comes from the hops and this is what the IBU is a measurement of.

If you don't like bitter beer, make a toucan with some malt extract, a dark ale tin and the stout tin instead.

For sweet stout, add some lactose in. (200 - 500g)

thanks, i have written this down so dont forget when i do give it a go, I will post what happens even if it is a flop :beerbang:

thanks and now you have jogged my memory, i am as dense as two bricks sometimes, i had been told that, I would like to purchase the book, easier for me to get through it as i am on the go alot and not near my comp but take books to read when i get a minute, could anyone tell me where to get the first edition please.
I got mine (latest edition) from www.bookdepository.com , was about $17 delivered.

bah

along with that book and this site you will have more then enough information to get started into brewing and also get better and better. Just a tip, every question you could possible think of has most likely been asked and answered before on this site, so give the search function a whirl. if nothing comes up, make a new topic and sum1 will definetly answer ur question.

with the search function, when u click on it, sue the google one instead of the default forum search.

back on topic tho, when asking what something will turn out like, best thing to do is just go ahead and do it and learn from it, as people have different tastes and opinions on flavour etc. posting ur experience from doign this on this site is good as it will help other people :D

Latest posts

Back