Colonial Brewing Co. Margaret River

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be in Marg's from the 22nd till the 29th of Dec.... The In-Law's Christmas rotation & we have hired a shack in Prevelly. woo hoo!

Asher

Im over that side of the world from 19th Dec - 3rd Jan.

Had another nice afternoon at the Colonial whilst over in WA. Started off with the paddle again....then plumped for the wit and kolsch for the rest of the afternoon. The band tree top refugees were playing which were great....stinking hot, great beer, great food, kiddies on the playground. Very relaxing. Went to the bar later on and asked if Randall the Enamel Animal was around (try saying that after a few beers :lol: ).
Cheers
Steve

Went to the bar later on and asked if Randall the Enamel Animal was around (try saying that after a few beers :lol: ).
Cheers
Steve
I'm trying to stay away from the palce on the weekends and on holidays; sick of getting roped in to helping behind the bar! If anyone is planning to drop in this holiday season, be sure to send me a pm and I'll make sure I'm around for a bit of a tour and some 'tank grazing'.

Growlers are back in stock now too.

Cheers, Dean (the craftsman formerly known as Randall).

Is it my imagination, or have the old names been replaced with simple titles?

Regardless of it's name, the porter was the duck's nuts.

Is it my imagination, or have the old names been replaced with simple titles?
Yes, the names have been changed. They were daft and confusing. The Kolsch ale used to be called Spruiker's Challenge Dutch Courage Brew, the font decal feature some bloke doing something with a chicken and nowhere did it say Colonial or Kolsch. When you're lined up among 22 other taps, as we are at The Royal, the brand really needs to stand out.

Yeah, so the beers are just named now as per their style. We've kept the two popular seasonals (wit and robust porter) and made them year-round offerings, and ditched the unpopular ones. Dextrose was thrown into the skip bin and the strong ale pulled back to a more sessionable 6.6% and brewed finally as a proper American IPA. A mid-strength amber has been added for the drivers to round out a solid collection of seven beers.

Getting close with that IPA.... landing them all around the bull's eye.

Getting close with that IPA.... landing them all around the bull's eye.

I thought the keg at the WA brewing thing at Clancys was pretty good, have to try it again if its getting better.

Which beers are now on tap at the Royal ?

When there last I was excited to see the menu only to find that only about 3 were actually on tap - albeit 3 pretty gooduns...

They only want four, and the same four. Wit, Kolsch, Pale and Brown.

Thanks Dean. I'll settle for that.

I assume "they" are the Licencees as opposed to they being the great unwashed consumers... who drink and pay for it.

Are the other beers there in bottled format ?

No bottled beer anywhere at the moment. The brewery is running so far over capacity that there is simply no spare liquid for packaging. Set a new benchmark low this week for 'grain-to-brain'; 10 days.... Brew, ferment, mature, crop yeast, filter, gas up and serve to the bar. <_< Yeesh.

No bottled beer anywhere at the moment. The brewery is running so far over capacity that there is simply no spare liquid for packaging. Set a new benchmark low this week for 'grain-to-brain'; 10 days.... Brew, ferment, mature, crop yeast, filter, gas up and serve to the bar. <_< Yeesh.
hope it was a wheat beer!

hope it was a wheat beer!
No, wish it had been. Unfiltered beers will continue to improve as you drink through the serving tank, it's the filtered ones that you don't want to push along. Once the yeast is off, there's only one way for that beer to go, and that's down, down, down to funky town.

I read on the ASX site that Empire have appointed Mal Secourable (ex Sail&Anchor, ex Matso's) to the role of Brewer at Colonial Margaret River. Mal's a good bloke and a good brewer and I'm sure he'll do well there. Looking forward to rolling back down to Margs and raising a pint before heading over east. Congratulations Mal and best of luck.

So DiG, tell us about your move back east?
Anything to do with that secretive new brewery going in near a winery in the Yarra Valley? Word has it that there has been some earthworks underway at the new site.

A little bird tells me you'll be heading up the brewing there.

What can you share with us?

I read on the ASX site that Empire have appointed Mal Secourable (ex Sail&Anchor, ex Matso's) to the role of Brewer at Colonial Margaret River. Mal's a good bloke and a good brewer and I'm sure he'll do well there. Looking forward to rolling back down to Margs and raising a pint before heading over east. Congratulations Mal and best of luck.

Good to hear they found a new brewer. I'll be down that way in July, will definitely go in to ogle the brewery and sample the wares.

Can't say much other than we plan to make very good beer. I'd be disappointed in the future if a 'clone' thread didn't spring up.

Anything to do with that secretive new brewery going in near a winery in the Yarra Valley? Word has it that there has been some earthworks underway at the new site.

Is that at DeBortoli?

There was a guy called Vin who posted on beer advocate a couple of years back hinting that debortoli was looking at brewing beers.He seemed to be involved.HERE'S the thread
Never heard anymore about it until now.

Is that at DeBortoli?

There was a guy called Vin who posted on beer advocate a couple of years back hinting that debortoli was looking at brewing beers.He seemed to be involved.HERE'S the thread
Never heard anymore about it until now.

Deborts brewery is at their Griffith site - Riverina NSW, well actually its in Bilbul near Griffith It is called William Bull Brewery. They advertised for a brewer not that long ago.

Dig's new gig is in the Yarra Valley Victoria and he is being very secretive about most of it. Hope we don't have to wait too long.

Oh dear. I was down on the long weekend.... thought I might just bite my tongue. But this in my inbox from a winemaker in MR:

What's going on...

Bought a growler of India Pale Ale and it was as dark brown as a cuban cigar, had little to no head or carbonation and tasted of malts, malts, malts ... didn't you leave the recipe book behind?

I'm going to miss you as the beer quality will be shot ... gawd dammit!

Grrrr. That beer won a gold and the best draught ale trophy at the AIBA just in March... so much work, so much learning, just thrown out the bloody window.

Latest posts

Back