Coles Deletes Home Brew Category

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Reaction score
According to Coopers, Coles have decided to stop stocking home brew products.

Here is the emai I just recieved:

Coles Deletes Home Brew Category from All Stores

Dear Robert,

As an avid home brewer and Coopers supporter, we need to bring to your attention an issue that will significantly restrict where you can purchase Home Brew products.

We have been advised by Coles Head Office that Coles and Bi Lo stores will no longer carry home brew products. It is our understanding this decision has been made purely on a cost basis, it's all about their profit and the belief that their customers who purchase home brewing products will not be upset by this decision and continue to shop with them. Unfortunately it appears that Coles Management have not taken into consideration the needs of you, their customer at all.

We have requested a meeting with Coles Management to discuss this decision which to date has received no reply. It is disappointing that Coles have taken this insensitive attitude based on profit only without even the courtesy of discussing the issue with us.

Coopers unfortunately have no say in this decision. It is obviously our preference to make our products available as widely as possible to ensure easy access to them for our loyal customers such as yourself. In addition to making it more difficult for brewers to obtain our products, this could also result in reduced competition and hence higher pricing for your home brewing products.

Coopers will continue to try and reverse this decision although we do not believe that Coles will listen to us.

However, you, as the shopper are of great importance to Coles and have the most influence on these types of decisions. In a supermarket duopoly such as we have in Australia, we feel it is important that Coles realise that they should consider the consumer, not just profit when making these decisions not only in regard to this particular decision but perhaps others where smaller more vulnerable Australian companies are concerned. Therefore we encourage you to let Coles know your feelings regarding this matter. They can be contacted on: -

Email - [email protected]

Phone Number - 1800 061 562
(8.30am - 6.00pm Monday to Friday and 8.00am - 4.30pm on Saturday)

Fax Number - (03) 9829 3818

Postal - PO Box 480 Glen Iris VIC 3146

Please be assured that Coopers will continue to do our best to make our products available as widely and competitively as possible. However you as the consumer by making a choice on where to shop will play a significant role in achieving this.

Thank you for your continued support and loyalty, it is greatly appreciated.

Yours Sincerely

Coopers Brewery Ltd

I've emailed them but, out of curiosity, where have you been for the last couple of days, since there is already a three page thread on the subject?

went coles saturday to see if they had out of date brigalow new all gone replaced with home brand maybe going to only sell home brand instructions on homebrand look like brigalow instructions maybe a cunning plan sell crap home brew to put every one off home brewing

Coopers kits at the supermarket are the last affordable and widely available decent kits in my opinion. My local HB sells Morgans (which I reckon are the best kits) for $15 - $17 and LDME for $9 a kg.

I was getting coopers kits for about $10 each on special at woolies or coles.

These changes just makes going AG more attractive so maybe it is not all bad, for us anyway....maybe not coopers.

Just my 2 cents.

What a great opportunity for those who shopped at Coles to buy LDME and hops!

I rang the hotline and already the lady said that they have gots lots and lots of feedback (AKA complaints) from customers not happy with this decision. Also that not all stores its going to happen but it is in my store f*ck there goes my english bitter supplies. :(

So good work guys hopefully we get it reversed.

I've emailed them but, out of curiosity, where have you been for the last couple of days, since there is already a three page thread on the subject?

Yeah... oops, been working stupid hours the last couple of days ... looked for the topic in this (Kits & Extracts) section of the forum, but not the rest of the forum.

Only recently I dropped in to Penrith K-Mart for some Coopers kits & found a fairly limited choice - on the other hand, the Coles right next door had a homebrew section twice the size.... 'twould be a shame if that dissapears .... but then as others have been saying, maybe it is time to set up that AG rig I have been mulling over.

anyone notice they have Tooheys on shelf also..are going to delete them also..or has cascade(cub) got into the market..seen alot of places reducing cascade kits..also BigW has coopers on special

anyone notice they have Tooheys on shelf also..are going to delete them also..or has cascade(cub) got into the market..seen alot of places reducing cascade kits..also BigW has coopers on special

I sent Coles an email suggesting that I was away to Woolies. They replied that every product on their shelves had to meet a performance marker, and if it didn't it was out. They are getting rid of home brew products en masse. They did say that some stores, where demand for home brew product met the marker, will still be selling home brew products. Good luck finding one!

thats means COOPERS is a crap product..i dont think so..supermarkets want "there" branded products on the shelf

If coopers just sell the tined malt no need to pay gst only home brew has gst

Back