Cockroach Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to join this discussion with my own experiences, late and with a question.

I had a major cockroach problem in my current house when I moved it. Small brown cockroaches, which I believe are known as American cockroaches. The house was 40 years old and they had the complete run of the kitchen. Had a pest guy come out to eliminate them, didn't see any for about 2 weeks then they were everywhere again. I ended up ripping out the entire kitchen and remodelling. When I did this, I put some powder from Bunnings called "Roach Prufe" under all of the cabinets before they were installed. Haven't seen a single roach in the kitchen in well over two years now. I see the occassional black bush roach in the garden under the leaf litter. Don't mind those.

Anyway, my question: what is in "Roach Prufe"?

Gout said:
a easy one i have seen before is a used butter container (still slippy) with some beer in the bottom, they (like us;) ) love beer and jump in the container to have a drink then cant climb out and wammo

safe cheap and easy, plus good work of beer drips etc
[post="58850"][/post]​

Any jar or tin that has had something greasy and tasty in it will do the job, we used to have the buggers in our kitchen and whenever youd leave an empty jar or tin next to the rubbish bin to be taken out for recycling they'd crawl into it to get at the traceews of food and get stuck. salmon or tuna cans work a treat.

OK a little off-topic, but I recently remodeled our kitchen. We had a consistent problem with silver fish. I could never get rid of the buggers. When I removed all the skirting boards you should have seen them all hiding away. There were literaly hundreds. Sprayed the buggers with Mortein which killed them, plus I didn't replace the the skirting boards for a couple of months. This seems to have fixed the problem, but i fear they've just moved to another part of the house. I reckon not putting the skirting boards back on straight away has helped the most as they haven't had a place to live.

Similar approach has helped with roaches. I cleaned up a lot of junk outside, taking away places for them to live and hide. This certainly cut down on the number of roaches around the place.

Cheers
MAH

Back