Co2 Cylinder Options For Northern Beaches, Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacknohe

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm looking at getting into Kegging. Need to sort out the most ideal CO2 gas cylinder options considering my location for the purposes of purchasing and refills/swapping. So far I'm looking at "MyKegOnLegs" and "Keg King". Any others I should really consider?

MyKegOnLegs
6.8kg Cylinder
Purchase for $329 in North Sydney
Swap for $50 in North Sydney

Keg King
6kg Cylinder
Purchase for $249 in Peakhurst
Swap for $45 in Peakhurst
Refills in Manly Vale and Cromer for $50

At the moment I'm leaning toward the MyKegOnLegs option given my location. Any thoughts or other things I should consider?

I take it if I have a MyKegOnLegs Cylinder I could take it to a refill station if I needed or chose to?

Speed gas manlyvale great price and cheap fills.
Tim will sell you a bottle as well.

Hi All

I'm looking at getting into Kegging. Need to sort out the most ideal CO2 gas cylinder options considering my location for the purposes of purchasing and refills/swapping. So far I'm looking at "MyKegOnLegs" and "Keg King". Any others I should really consider?

MyKegOnLegs
6.8kg Cylinder
Purchase for $329 in North Sydney
Swap for $50 in North Sydney

Keg King
6kg Cylinder
Purchase for $249 in Peakhurst
Swap for $45 in Peakhurst
Refills in Manly Vale and Cromer for $50

At the moment I'm leaning toward the MyKegOnLegs option given my location. Any thoughts or other things I should consider?

I take it if I have a MyKegOnLegs Cylinder I could take it to a refill station if I needed or chose to?
you could buy the cheaper one (Keg King) and then get it refilled at a local fire service company.

Stargas have refills for $20 for d size and rental is $60 a year free delievery to your door + gst

Im happy to help out

Thanks Guys. I'll check the other options out.

A quick look at the web sites of SpeedGas and StarGas shows other options such as CO2 & Nitrogen blends. Do Homebrewers bother with this? Or is straight CO2 good enough?

Michael

A d size cylinder is 6kg

and

Jacknohe a nitrogen blend mix is not needed for a home brewer because its only good for pouring beer and not charging a keg.

if your interested just call stargas and ask for big ben

Depends on your needs / keg rotation. I only have a 2.6kg keg king one which lives in my fridge. Keeps out of the way, does everything i need. If i had space in the kitchen for a 6kg i would likely get one. For the 6kgISH zone $250 should be the max (delivered full) / $200 pickup full new. Give the local refill zones a call first and see what's best. I use the local fish shop & firies place to fill. Much easier than dicking around all over Sydney.

Just up to you to decide on own or rental.

includes delivery as well so that you don t have to run around anywhere

$60 a year rental, and $20 refill for 6kg.

that is by far the cheapest I've seen for both of these costs.

It certainly sounds good. $60+ GST ($66) and $20+GST ($22) refills.

includes delivery as well so that you don t have to run around anywhere

And this makes the refill cost even more appealing.

Just up to you to decide on own or rental.

Yes, just weighing up Ownership vs Renting now. I can see benefits of both. SpeedGas in Manly Vale quoted a new 6kg (D size) for $220 (I asume ex GST) plus $35 refills. But I'll have to run around myself a little.

I'm guessing a bottle lasts 10 years (?) so the cost spread over the life of the bottle is $24 (inc GST) per year. Assuming I'd use the 6kg bottle in a year (not really sure though), that's say $59 a year plus having to organise myself to get to the refill station.

An upside of renting is that the bottle is replaced at every refill and I don't have to worry about testing. Looking at the costing from BigBen above it would work out at $88 per year. So for the sake of the $29 difference in renting, the bottle refill is delivered.

I know my assumptions on costing may be a little off but just trying to weigh it all up.

Thanks BigBen for your help, I'll call to discuss.

Thanks Guys. I'll check the other options out.

A quick look at the web sites of SpeedGas and StarGas shows other options such as CO2 & Nitrogen blends. Do Homebrewers bother with this? Or is straight CO2 good enough?

nitro/co2 blend with a stout tap is good for having guiness/kilkenny styles at home. recently put a real ale on it and it was awesome.

Called BigBen and discussed the deal and options etc. I'll go with the renting option for a year and see how we go.

Cheers All.

happy to help out

its free delivery and if you have any problems just call

Back