Co2 Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vh_202

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i did a quick search and turned up no results but im hoping itl only need a quick answer. I have just bought a 2nd hand keg setup and am wondering what co2 is suitable for it. I rang up boc and asked and they said that a 10kg bottle will cost 10.60 a month and 40 bucks per refill. will this be suitable for a keg. im only really asking because i went to my local homebrew shop and asked and they said something about beer gas which makes no sense whatsoever as i thought all that was required is just co2. is this beer gas food rated or something?

any help would be appreciated thanks
vh

Food grade CO2 is what you want.

You might want to loook at buying your bottle outright if you are looking at kegging for several years, check out this site for more information http://www.mykegonlegs.com.au

so can BOC provide food grade CO2?

EdIt : Also ive heard whispers about people using fire extinguishers which are much cheaper. is there in anywhere in SA that i would be able to acquire one and where would i be able to refill it.
How long would a 5kg co2 canister last. i drink quite regularly

vh_202 said:
hi everyone,

i did a quick search and turned up no results but im hoping itl only need a quick answer. I have just bought a 2nd hand keg setup and am wondering what co2 is suitable for it. I rang up boc and asked and they said that a 10kg bottle will cost 10.60 a month and 40 bucks per refill. will this be suitable for a keg. im only really asking because i went to my local homebrew shop and asked and they said something about beer gas which makes no sense whatsoever as i thought all that was required is just co2. is this beer gas food rated or something?

any help would be appreciated thanks
vh
[post="95126"][/post]​

It would be easier to help if u amended your profile to show your location.
Then people from your area/state can reply...

sorry about that i only just signed up. changes have been made ;)

Hi,

I have a BOC food grade CO2 bottle of gas and it will last you quite a while. It MUST BE food grade. Fire extinguishers, well, MMmmmm, wouldn't touch it myself.
I would just rent the bottle as when you take it back for a refill, they just exchange the bottle. They all keep up the maintenance and safety checks on all their bottles. I dont think the average AHB would bother to get regular checks.
Brew on.
Hawko

vh_202 said:
how large is the bottle?
[post="95142"][/post]​

vh,

Size is a 10kg bottle
Gas codes and bottle code are;

082 and VT respectively.

I use a average amount for brewing, you know, recycling cleaners and sterilising etc etc plus carbonation of course. I made up a brass gas manifold with 4 gas taps with barbs so I can do multiple tasks without having to muck around disconnecting etc.
Hawko

As you are in adelaide...

PM Me...

I can line you a deal with Mac Mont that uses Air Liquide CO2 Bottles for 9.00 per month rental - 37.50 fill up on 10kg bottle - u can choose Co2 or Cellar Mix.

Alternatively - depending upon who/where u work - i might be able to line u a deal with Air Liquide that has no monthly rental...

Hope this helps

As interest here , I worked for BOC for a few years

Food grade and industrial C02 are the same product , filled from the same tank.
The only differance is what you pay !

On that subject industrial oxygen and hosiptal grade oxygen are the same too

Food grade C02
Beer Gas
rip-offs
Go industrial grade C02

Batz

I am in Adelaide, and went to see BOC on Peachey Road in Elizabeth. I asked for gas for my home brew & the guy knew exactly what to give me. I had to open an account with them, which was about $100 a year. He told me an invoice would be posted out to me for that. Thant was on the 16th of November. He said I'd probably get the invoice in late December. I paid $35.85 for a size D bottle (10kg) of "BEERGAS" - that's what it's labelled as on the bottle, and on my invoice!
I've put through 3 kegs so far, and the needle on the regulator has barely moved! The guy at the brew shop told me I'd get around 20 kegs from a cylinder.

Hope this helps!

Batz said:
As interest here , I worked for BOC for a few years

Food grade and industrial C02 are the same product , filled from the same tank.
The only differance is what you pay !

On that subject industrial oxygen and hosiptal grade oxygen are the same too

Food grade C02
Beer Gas
rip-offs
Go industrial grade C02

Batz
[post="95154"][/post]​

Thanks for the tip Batz!! How much cheaper is industrial CO2?

I thought it was more to do with the bottle maintenence. Food and medical grade bottles have to be cleaned when serviced.
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
I thought it was more to do with the bottle maintenence. Food and medical grade bottles have to be cleaned when serviced.
cheers
Darren
[post="95162"][/post]​

No Darren , there's not a differance
Bottles are checked at intervals inside and out , a bottle must be perfect , there are no second best for industrial grade gases.

New
I don't think you will save all that much , of course anything is better in your pocket than BOC's

Batz

new2kegbrew said:
I paid $35.85 for a size D bottle (10kg) of "BEERGAS" - that's what it's labelled as on the bottle, and on my invoice!
I've put through 3 kegs so far, and the needle on the regulator has barely moved! The guy at the brew shop told me I'd get around 20 kegs from a cylinder.

Hope this helps!
[post="95156"][/post]​

I used a VT (10kg) CO2 bottle and I get more that 20 kegs from it. On average I go through a keg a week and I haven'nt had my gas bottle refilled since about March, and I use it to flush/clean kegs, and to bottle using a CPBF.

Beers,
Doc

I'm with Batz on this one.

My bottle reads "industrial" and nobody has been harmed yet.

Granted I would have taken anything at the price though...$0 :D

PZ.

I run a 3.5 Kg CO2 fire extinguisher to dispense. It costs me $14.00 to refill and I own it!

M

You are probably right Batz,
There must be a reason for the food grade industrial grade classification.
Has to be more than simply profit because I suspect it would cost more to administer the different bottles.
Could simply be the enviroment that it is used in. Industrial bottles would be exposed to all sorts of possible contaminants (argon and other inert gasses when bottles are changed etc). Food grade used in pubs are only likely to be exposed to food products.
Hospital grade bottles have a completely different connection to ensure they are only used in a hospital setting.
You can bet your balls that hospital grade gas has to go through a far more rigorous QC process.
cheers
darren

Possibly not for QLD hospitals. QLD Health - - So long as it's cheap.

Latest posts

Back