Clone Brews Book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.D.

Hop Whore
Reaction score
Hi,

The other day I receiced "Clone Brews" by Tess Szamatulski and Mark Szamatulski from Amazon. I was keen to have a look as there are quite a few beers there that I really like in it - Sam Adams Boston Lager, Bass Ale, Pilsner Urquell, Sierra Navada PA etc etc.

But when I read most of these recipes I was a little surprised, especially when it came to the hop schedules. To me Sam Adams BL is definitely a hoppy beer, but the amount of flavour and aroma hops were a tiny fraction of what I would guess the beer would use. I don't have the recipe in front of me now but it was something like 14g of Hallertau at 15mins and another 14g of Tettnang at flameout. Most beers I have made with that sort of hop schedule have been anything but hoppy! Even the Sierra Navada Pale Ale clone was pretty light on the hops in my opinion, and from all accounts that's a very hoppy beer. Most of the IPAs only had around 14-28g for the flavour and aroma hop additions. The only one that looked pretty right in my mind was the Pilsner Urquell clone.

So anyway, obviously since I only got the book a few days ago I haven't had the chance to try any of the recipes yet, and I'm trying to remain optimistic that these recipes are fairly accurate. Has anybody here tried any of these recipes, and if so, how did you find the results compared to the commercial beer they are trying to replicate? Does anybody have any opinions on this book?

Cheers! :beer:

I have it, and to best sum it up I guess I would say it's 'OK'.

I've flick through it some nights and have tried the Pete's Wicked Ale clone. This came out very well and was a good beer and well balanced, but is the only one I've tried so far. As for the others I'm not sure, but I have seen a few AG receipes floating around for SNPA but am yet to compare to Clone Brews.

Cheers.

Duff said:
I have it, and to best sum it up I guess I would say it's 'OK'.
Cheers.
[post="111697"][/post]​

Agree with Duff on that.

I have only made one recipe from it, that being the Pilsner Urquell.

I compared it to an original in a taste and colour test a few months later and I have to say I was pleasantly suprised by the similarity.

johnno

I tend to take their recipes, in both this and their other book, Beer Captured with a grain of salt.

That said, I am now much more interested in brewing to particular styles rather than making a carbon copy of another beer I won't have tasted fresh in at least 15 years ;) .

Ray Daniels, Designing Great Beers is much better value to me now, I find.

wee stu said:
Ray Daniels, Designing Great Beers is much better value to me now, I find.
[post="111705"][/post]​
I have to second Stu on that one. Daniels' is a great book and will really help you design your own brews and understand the different styles. Besides that it is a good read too.

Td,

i agree with you - some of the beers seem vastly under hopped, especially the American styles. A friend of mine recently made one of the American amber recipes - turned out a nice session ale, but totally lacking the hop aroma/taste you would expect from the style...

cheers Ross

Thanks guys. I'm glad that I am not the only one who was left a bit puzzled by some of the recipes in this book.

I have also taken the view for quite a while that brewing to "style" is a much more rewarding (and fulfilling) way to go. I've had a crack at some Coopers Pale Ale clones and ended up just trying to brew a session beer that was "similar" to Coopers and in the same style. Much better way to go. I only bought this book because I thought it might provide a little insight into my favourite beers and how they are made.

One thing I didn't mention was the Coopers Sparkling Ale clone. What's going on there??? It says something like 250g of crystal and 47 IBUs!!! WTF??? :blink: haha

edit: typo

T.D. said:
One thing I didn't mention was the Coopers Sparkling Ale clone. What's going on there??? It says something like 250g of crystal and 47 IBUs!!! WTF??? :blink: haha
[post="111715"][/post]​
I think the bitterness sounds way off. However the crystal is probably not too far off. I made a recipe based on the famous whiteboard photo and the brew length at the Cooper's brewery. Taking into account the abv and the attenuation of Cooper's yeast. Obviously there was a little guess work and estimation there but this is the grist I came up with

56.5% Pale Malt
23% Wheat Malt
3.8% Crystal Malt

16.7% Sugar

I have never made it so don't know how it would turn out but I think it has to be fairly close to the mark. I was surprised with the high sugar levels but I am told this is reasonably accurate.

T.D
i have designing Great Beers at home, and although it is constant read and reference book, i'd be happy to lend it to you for a whiles (maybe 6 months :D ). It's Definately a great read and a perfect book to have on hand.

I have Clone brews, and was pretty dissapointed. I think it is mainly aimed at the extract brewer with all grain options thrown in as an after thought.

Cheers
Andrew

KoNG said:
T.D
i have designing Great Beers at home, and although it is constant read and reference book, i'd be happy to lend it to you for a whiles (maybe 6 months :D ).
[post="111728"][/post]​

Only if you are sure you won't need it mate! ;) :p

Gotta get my permit sorted to drink the stuff...!!!!
let alone design any...!!!

I'm sure you could go to town designing them, just will never be able to find out what they taste like! :p

They are recipies for 18.9 litre batches not 23litres

Pumpy

Also the water profiles for the US is very different to Syd/Melb/Bris water. Need to add a teaspoon of gypsum to harden the water and prolly half a teaspoon of sea salt, which will promote the hop flavour.

Ross said:
Td,

i agree with you - some of the beers seem vastly under hopped, especially the American styles. A friend of mine recently made one of the American amber recipes - turned out a nice session ale, but totally lacking the hop aroma/taste you would expect from the style...

cheers Ross
[post="111708"][/post]​

Hmmm. ... this is nothing to do with your latest venture Ross ?? :unsure:

Sorry, couldn't resist the dig :D

mika_lika said:
Ross said:
Td,

cheers Ross
[post="111708"][/post]​

Hmmm. ... this is nothing to do with your latest venture Ross ?? :unsure:

Sorry, couldn't resist the dig :D
[post="111912"][/post]​

Hee hee :D - yeah books like this I don't need :lol:

Back