cleaning glass fermentors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arctic78

Reaction score
So I have a few glass fermenters and it takes a bit to clean them after use . I get them clean but with a lot of work . Has anyone got a good way to get rid of the krausen gunk , besides brush and manual labour ??? I have had a look online but all American sites and info so any Aussie stuff would be appreciated .

Put a litre of hot water, some percarbonate and a cup of lentils in the fermenter and shake the shite out of it. Unmalted grain works too.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Put a litre of hot water, some percarbonate and a cup of lentils in the fermenter and shake the shite out of it. Unmalted grain works too.
Genius. Will give this a try.

As above, but I use generous amounts of percarbonate in it and leave it upside down with warm water and a bung in it. The dried yeast literally melts away. Don't even have to shake it.

Similar to above, but caustic soda and stuff a couple of chux or similar in there, less is more where water is concerned with this method, the chux provide the scrubbing action and caustic dissolves the crap out the gunk.

A total zero effort method is napisan, fill carboy with warm water, leave two days, drain, rinse, done.

Latest posts

Back