Cleaning Brew Kettle - How Often?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheaper per gram perhaps but I find perc (PBW) requires soaking, so a larger volume, e.g. 25-30L to clean my kettle to ensure valves/fittings are covered for soaking where as detergent could probably do 10L and scrub away rinsing the scourer in the lesser volume to clean kettle. If that makes sense?

Cleaned my kettle after a brew yesterday, how would detergent clean inside whirlpool return, pickup tubes and the valve/fittings?

Think I'll stick to PBW, cheap enough [emoji3][emoji106] ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496013522.039052.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496013555.577048.jpg

I have a grainfather and I always wipe/scrub the inside until it is clean to the standard that you would clean your dinner plates. Then every 5 brews or so I give it an overnight hot soak in napisan to get rid of the beer stone and any other discoloration. The staining can potentially make it harder to see stuck on crud. You want your shit clean is the way I see it.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Cleaned my kettle after a brew yesterday, how would detergent clean inside whirlpool return, pickup tubes and the valve/fittings?

Think I'll stick to PBW, cheap enough [emoji3][emoji106]
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496013522.039052.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496013555.577048.jpg
Nice one DJ

Is that the whirpool a third of the way up above the pick up for outlet ?

Also where is your mash tun does it fit inside or is it seperate ?

Sorry for off topic but Im doing the 1V build at the moment

For cleaning sodium perc here but might try the citric in future

Yeah thats the whirlpool. Made it adjustable so I could do single, double or triple batches with my rig. I have a 3V system so my mash tun is a separate insulated vessel [emoji106]

Back