Citra! Is It Worth $30 A Pound?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunyips

Reaction score
Hello brewers am thinking of putting an order in with niko and including a pound of citra! Looking at brewing Pale ales and golden ale etc. Is this hop worth the dosh?

Hello brewers am thinking of putting an order in with niko and including a pound of citra! Looking at brewing Pale ales and golden ale etc. Is this hop worth the dosh?

Have a look at the price of cascade. A better hop in my opinion. :beerbang:

$30 + postage is very close to buying 90g bags.

$37.50 for a pound at craftbrewer.

:) Well thanks guys... I think I will give it a miss then and buy 11 pounds of stuff at $8 a pound and $60 delivered from Hops 2 You and then sell some up here in the north! Aaah **** it! Never know what to get and don't really want to get stuck with stuff I don't use!
Will do the email around again and see if some northerners are keen.

mate NIKO has some great deals just no @ 30 large a pound, if you will use 11 pounds in 12 months go for it, otherwise $14 postage starts to look really good on a four pound order.

Niko has fantastic deals, and I wouldn't be paying $30 for a pound of citra.

Especially as CB has them cheap, and they are less powdery.

Citra craps all over cascade. I like cascade and it works well with citra, but citra is a way better hop in my opinion.

I'd rather 90g Citra than a pound of Cascade.

Goomba

agree Citra and cascade are a very different beasts :beerbang:

Had a look at Niko's latest prices and looks like it may not be worth while order from him anymore :angry:

What styles are they used in, US styles or from other parts of the world? Thought so. :beerbang:

:icon_offtopic: in the interest of trying new hops... I did an APA AG (3rd) today with centennial, Wai iti, galaxy today... aroma from the boil was amazing.. Centennial and Wai-iti the new ones on the menu... cubed and awaiting a FV... and for me to get off me arse and harvest the yeast ;)

Yob

:icon_offtopic: Wai-iti the new ones on the menu...

Just looked them up on the CB site, look really interesting. Seems like Kiwi's are just nailing the quality hops scene (and craft brewing too).

:icon_offtopic: in the interest of trying new hops... I did an APA AG (3rd) today with centennial, Wai iti, galaxy today... aroma from the boil was amazing.. Centennial and Wai-iti the new ones on the menu... cubed and awaiting a FV... and for me to get off me arse and harvest the yeast ;)

Yob

Something I will agree with you, Centennial & Galaxy are amazing. :beerbang:

Ordered my pound just before and used the cheap postage to top up on some Willamette, EK and so on. $14 postage when I pay a similar price for express post here from our Aussie sponsors is a good deal. Sure I overpaid for the Citra but i couldn't get it from hopsdirect with my order there and by combining it with other purchases I save as I've already stated.

Certainly a different beast from cascade. Niko's hops and service are top rate so I'll continue to go back to him, too bad the dollar has taken a hit in the last week or so.

Back