Choosing A House Ale Strain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
To keep things simple I'm thinking of sticking to a single ale yeast for any beer that won't require a specific strain. It'll be covering the gamut from english to american ales, dark beers and pseudolagers. Required traits include good attenuation, hardy fermentation qualities, ease of fermentation management (ie good flocculation), reasonably easy to reculture and a good temperature range. Did I miss anything?

At the moment I am contemplating 1335 British Ale II. Also considering 1272 American Ale II. Will not consider US-05 as I do not like its sedimentation properties nor its propensity for diacetyl production.

What I'm after is both suggestions for any other good multi-purpose strains and comments from experienced users of 1335 and 1272 as I've not really used either myself. Right now I am especially interested in 1335.

Thoughts?

Kai, I don't think you can go past Nottingham for a good all purpose Dry yeast, I use this yeast pretty much exclusively for all my ales now and it meets all your criteria. I'm not sure if you are looking at liquid yeasts only but if you are the WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast is a great all purpose yeast as well, it's very clean, flocculates like nothing else and attenuates very well too, this is my favourite liquid ale yeast.

Cheers
Andrew

I havent used 1272 for a long time, but I recall it as being maybe a bit estery for your dark beer class.

Kai, I don't think you can go past Nottingham for a good all purpose Dry yeast, I use this yeast pretty much exclusively for all my ales now and it meets all your criteria. I'm not sure if you are looking at liquid yeasts only but if you are the WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast is a great all purpose yeast as well, it's very clean, flocculates like nothing else and attenuates very well too, this is my favourite liquid ale yeast.

Cheers
Andrew

Nottingham did not occur to me as I've never even seen it before, I may try it at some point. You're right that 007 is an excellent yeast, I have used that once in an IPA. I was mulling over it as an option but would probably have to order it in -- something that my impatient self does not like doing.

hell, why not good old s-04?

ferments well, floc's great and is easily available cheap.

i really need to try nottingham again, the one and only time i have tried it, was the one and only time i got an infection :(

In the dried range I can't go past US-05. Treated right it's a sensational all round yeast IMO.
2nd choice would be Nottingham, it's just not very suitable for light flavoured beers as it leaves a slighty dusty profile.

cheers Ross

Contemplated S-04 as it does settle wonderfully but I think it finishes a little too soft for what I'm after. Have read comments about Nottingham being dusty before, if I road test it then it will probably be in a nice light blonde ale so I can see for myself how it comes out.

as much as I'd like to suggest a wheat beer strain, it's definitely not all-purpose.

I'd be happy to suggest W1007 (German Ale) as a superb all-rounder. Neutral to the point of being lager-like at temps down to 13C, and clean at higher temps too.
I have made some nice dark beers and fruit beers (as espoused by Todd Mazur in the defunct Ausbeer magazine) with this yeast. :beerbang:

Advantages: Can be used for Kolsch-style and Altbiers as well as any ale style and psuedo-lagers. Prob even OK for Yank wheat beer and weizens.

Disadvantages: Cannot replicate Belgian styles, Low flocc. High attentuation may not suit some Brit styles.

From Wyeast:
True top cropping yeast, low ester formation, broad temperature range affects styles. Cold fermentation will produce lager characteristics including sulfur production. Fermentation at higher temperatures may produce some mild fruitiness. Generally, yeast remains significantly in suspension. Beers mature rapidly, even when cold fermentation is used. Low or no detectable diacetyl.

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation:
Temperature Range: 55-68 F (13-20 C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 11% ABV

Styles:
American Wheat or Rye Beer
Berliner Weisse (Yum!)
Bire de Garde
Dsseldorf Altbier
Klsch
Northern German Altbier

Beerz
Seth :p

The 1335 British Ale II is an awesome yeast. Goes well in English and American styles. What I also really like about it is that it clears really well.

But the one I have been hooked on for the last 18 months and use mostly these days is the 1332 Northwest Ale.

Can't say I have used it in an English Bitter so far as my house ales are APA's, but from what I have seen it should do well.

cheers
johnno

I have used that a few times in past and made some very nice beers. I think it would work very well in an english ale too. However, it's a little lower on attenuation than I am after.

1007 is definitely too poor a flocculator for my liking.

I havent used 1272 for a long time, but I recall it as being maybe a bit estery for your dark beer class.

I'am thinking the same thing, never made a porter or what not with it pretty much because expecting it to be a bit too fruity. Would be interested to hear if anyone has made a darker maltier beer with it and more earthy hops.

But the one I have been hooked on for the last 18 months and use mostly these days is the 1332 Northwest Ale.

If I were looking at a yeast for similiar purposes as Kai there I'd certainly have this one up on the list, I have used it in bitters before and they were great. Haven't done any darker beers with it though. Looks like Kai's specifically after something with higher attenuation though.

One yeast that springs straight to mind for american ales, english ales, porters and stouts etc is wyeast 1028 london ale. Possibly won't stretch to your psuedo lagers or whatever but I have no real idea there.
Just to add another yeast to your possible list for most of the ales how about wyeast 1275 thames valley.
There really is quite a lot.
Like les said the 1007 has a very broad range of applications but personally I'd be looking at something more inline with a english ale type strain for the most part for the magic then get something else for the kolsch, alt, psuedo lager, psuedo echos, funky towns and what not.

what about your own blend Kai?
a tasty yeast and a clean high attenuator.

Kai, I don't think you can go past Nottingham for a good all purpose Dry yeast, I use this yeast pretty much exclusively for all my ales now and it meets all your criteria.

ditto :beerbang:

I think two of your requirements, high attenuation and good flocculation are kind of hard to combine in the one yeast.

MFS

I'd be happy to suggest W1007 (German Ale) as a superb all-rounder. Neutral to the point of being lager-like at temps down to 13C, and clean at higher temps too.

Advantages: Can be used for Kolsch-style and Altbiers as well as any ale style and psuedo-lagers. Prob even OK for Yank wheat beer and weizens.

Does the yeast add a flavour if left unfiltered?

I think two of your requirements, high attenuation and good flocculation are kind of hard to combine in the one yeast.

MFS

WLP007

PoMo, I have found 1007 drops out fine without filtering, but with a little time. The beers I've made with that seem clear after a few weeks in the bottle, despite what Wyeast says about it. I really like that yeast for a range of beers. I'd agree with Jayse that it wouldn't be the one for English ales as it's too neutral.

All of which is no help to you, Kai. Haven't used it, but how about London Ale III, 1318?

In the dried range I can't go past US-05. Treated right it's a sensational all round yeast IMO.
2nd choice would be Nottingham, it's just not very suitable for light flavoured beers as it leaves a slighty dusty profile.
cheers Ross

I am with Ross for basic good dry yeasts.

Now for a Belgian.

I am liking the Dry Belgian yeast sold by Ross , it's going crazy in 3 fermenters at the moment.
3787 has been my yeast of choice for years.

Seriously, give the nottingham a trial.Attenuates well, floccs well.

The APA I put into sabsosa this year was made with nottingham and it got 40/50.
Nice in a stout also ,so it would suit a brown beer,(doesn't batz use it in his alts?)
1968 is my fave liquid strain,but its prolly a little fruity for a does all strain.

care to catch up for sopme bevvies and chat about yeast soon MrBond?
I noticed your PM is out of action.

Latest posts

Back