Choosing A House Ale Strain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if you are looking at liquid yeasts only but if you are the WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast is a great all purpose yeast as well, it's very clean, flocculates like nothing else and attenuates very well too, this is my favourite liquid ale yeast.
Cheers
Andrew

Agree with Andrew. WLP007 Dry English Ale is also another very good yeast. I got a vial of this a couple of years ago and split it a few time. Made APA, Stout, Porter and bitters with it. I would use this yeast a bit more if it was readily available to me.

I think two of your requirements, high attenuation and good flocculation are kind of hard to combine in the one yeast.
MFS

mfdes. This from the whitelabs site
WLP007 Dry English Ale
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_str....html#ALE_YEAST

cheers
johnno

I am with Ross for basic good dry yeasts.

Now for a Belgian.

I am liking the Dry Belgian yeast sold by Ross , it's going crazy in 3 fermenters at the moment.
3787 has been my yeast of choice for years.

t-58?

i have had a sachet of it for ages, but am yet to put it to use.

why is flocculating such a problem? if it bothers you that much, why not filter?

Kai i do like the nottigham i used in a stout recently and it was good and makes a great smokey as i had in sabs 2004

Seriously, give the nottingham a trial.Attenuates well, floccs well.

The APA I put into sabsosa this year was made with nottingham and it got 40/50.
Nice in a stout also ,so it would suit a brown beer,(doesn't batz use it in his alts?)
1968 is my fave liquid strain,but its prolly a little fruity for a does all strain.

Yes I do Mr Bond
And having tried several others I still perfer the Nottingham over any other liquids I have used.Talking Alts here of course.

Batz

Kai, that Altbier that you tasted here was with WY1335. I've used the last split I had and don't think I'll be going back to it in a hurry. I'm not sure whether it was me or the yeast, but seemed to take a while to clear. Knowing that you start drinking sampling from the fermentor I'm not sure it'd be your thing.

T58-meh. Another dried yeast, seemed really versatile, I fermented a bunch of styles with it and seemed fine. Flocc properties maybe not so fantastic, but certainly not horrible.

WY1272, this yeast flocced out the starter ! Truly impressive. Got a blonde in the fridge at the moment, first beer so not sure what it's attenuation will be like. Little bit worried about the mention of estery profile, I thought it was meant to be a clean yeast. Guess I'll find out.

1278 Scottish/WLP028 Edinburgh is pretty good too, ferments down to 12C fairly easily, isn't as clean as US05/Chico or 1007 though. Damn quick yeast too - 4 days sometimes between brewing and bottling!

1335 is a great yeast but....

1275 1275 1275 :super:

It firments dry and crisp. Its clean under 19 deg, more fruity over 21 but no too much. good attenuation, very hardy. I fired it up after 4 months in the fridge and it was still fine.

just mash hotter fro a sweeter for a sweeter beer.

It settles out as well as US-05..... not as well as SO-4 but what does ;)

the other grear allround yeast i have found that is very similar is WLP005. very nice in an english bitter and would be great in aussire andenglish ales at 18 deg and lower mash temps.

cheers

To keep things simple I'm thinking of sticking to a single ale yeast for any beer that won't require a specific strain. It'll be covering the gamut from english to american ales, dark beers and pseudolagers. Required traits include good attenuation, hardy fermentation qualities, ease of fermentation management (ie good flocculation), reasonably easy to reculture and a good temperature range. Did I miss anything?

At the moment I am contemplating 1335 British Ale II. Also considering 1272 American Ale II. Will not consider US-05 as I do not like its sedimentation properties nor its propensity for diacetyl production.

What I'm after is both suggestions for any other good multi-purpose strains and comments from experienced users of 1335 and 1272 as I've not really used either myself. Right now I am especially interested in 1335.

Thoughts?

1332 Northwest works well as an allround ale workhorse for pommie style beers and american pale ales and IPA's but don't think it would fit the bill for pseudo lagers.

If you use only one yeast this year make it Wyeast 1318 London 3. It's fruity but not too fruity. It has medium attenuation so is good for many styles. It clears pretty well and can cut through a typical ale in 3-4 days. I use this in almost all of my ales. It really is a great all rounder. Do yourself a favour.

If you use only one yeast this year make it Wyeast 1318 London 3. It's fruity but not too fruity. It has medium attenuation so is good for many styles. It clears pretty well and can cut through a typical ale in 3-4 days. I use this in almost all of my ales. It really is a great all rounder. Do yourself a favour.

So how does it compare to coopers, Aaron?

The APA I put into sabsosa this year was made with nottingham and it got 40/50.

Dave, if yoiu are having any difficulty reading one of the judges' scoresheets, give me a holler - I can probably translate it for you ;) !!

FWIW I would second nottingham as a dry yeast and cast a vote for wyeast 1728 as a versatile all rounder, even capable of doing Belgians (well, if the original was good enough for duvel.....). Mind you I could have a cultural bias towards 1728 :D .

What's a good Lithuanian yeast, pomo??

I reckon at this stage I'm going to give 1335 and nottingham a run. 1728 I am likely to stock at some point for scottish and strong ales though 007 will be a contender in the high gravity stakes.

I'll send some nottingham over with your kettle for you to try Kai.

Old post revived.

I am now bored with Nottingham [for dark beers only] and have been using Wyeast 1335 in a few, what a great yeast ;) forgotten how good it was.

Back