Chocolate Milk Stout - critique request

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a choc stout. Does this look okay. I am going to brew it tonight :) Been putting it off as I have been unsure.
Has anybody used Chocolate Topping before?
Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout 
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 10.67 l
Post Boil Volume: 9.84 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 18.93 l   
Bottling Volume: 17.41 l
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 119.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 112.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
23.00 l               Edinburg, Scotland                       Water         1        -             
1.00 kg               Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC)               Grain         2        18.9 %        
0.30 kg               Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC)                 Grain         3        5.7 %         
3.00 kg               Dark Liquid Extract (34.5 EBC)           Extract       4        56.6 %        
0.50 kg               Chocolate Topping (0.0 EBC)              Extract       5        9.4 %         
40.00 g               Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop           6        21.1 IBUs     
30.00 g               Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop           7        3.2 IBUs      
0.25 kg               Roasted Barley 1200 ebc (1200.0 EBC)     Grain         8        4.7 %         
0.25 kg               Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 EBC)           Sugar         9        4.7 %         

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5.30 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 3.39 l of water at 73.1 C           66.7 C        60 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 8.59 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------
Temp for grain at start was 76

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why the 5 minute hop addition? I would leave it out as it's not going to add a lot with that recipe. Never used chocolate topping myself but interested to hear how you go. There may be fats/oils in the topping that may kill your head retention.

The flaked barley needs enzymes to convert it and there won't be any unless you add some base malt (making it a partial mash rather than an extract plus spec grains which is what you have now). I'd be inclined to cut back on the choc malt significantly and add a shade of black patent to balance up the sweetness from lactose and presumably topping. Is the topping artifically sweetened? I'd also be inclined to start with a pale base - whether grain or extract and build colour with spec grain. Dark DME + all that roast is a shade too much in my book.

Never used topping - Youngs double choc stout uses an essence and I'm not a fan. I find choc malt and lactose play together to give a chocolatey character but my preferences don't mean you shouldn't try it.

What yeast and why have you called it an oatmeal stout in your beersmith file?

Ah, I am the bottom of a steep learning curve! (I have to do some reading on enzymes / conversions etc)
I have taken out 1.5k of DME, added in 1.5k of Pale Malt, Maris Otter.
Increased the roasted barley
Replaced the flaked barley with flaked oats
Put in the yeast (bog standard - local HB shop only stocks a few)
Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Chocolate Stout 
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 10.67 l
Post Boil Volume: 9.84 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 18.93 l   
Bottling Volume: 17.41 l
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 125.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
23.00 l               Edinburg, Scotland                       Water         1        -             
1.50 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)         Grain         2        27.8 %        
1.00 kg               Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC)               Grain         3        18.5 %        
0.30 kg               Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                   Grain         4        5.6 %         
1.50 kg               Dark Liquid Extract (34.5 EBC)           Extract       5        27.8 %        
0.50 kg               Chocolate Topping (0.0 EBC)              Extract       6        9.3 %         
40.00 g               Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop           7        23.1 IBUs     
30.00 g               Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop           8        3.5 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         9        -             
0.35 kg               Roasted Barley 1200 ebc (1200.0 EBC)     Grain         10       6.5 %         
0.25 kg               Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 EBC)           Sugar         11       4.6 %         

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5.40 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 7.30 l of water at 73.1 C           66.7 C        60 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 6.18 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------
Temp for grain at start was 76

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The maris otter contains the enzymes necessary for self conversion plus surplus to convert your unmalted cereals - whether they are flaked oats or flaked barley (both need similar treatment). They should be pre-gelatinised so you can add them straight to the mash.

Looking good but I still think it's too much chocolate malt.

By temp for grain was 76 - is that the temperature of the water you are adding to the grain or the temperature of the hydrated grain? You'll need a mash temperature lower than 76. I'd be aiming for mid 60s because with that amount of roast grain, the lactose and the extract, you are already heading for a high finishing gravity.

First of all, Thanks Manticle and apologises for not replying earlier. The mash was done at 67.7C.
The wurt did not taste as chocolately as I was hoping and might be a little bit bitter. This is batch 1 of 20 to get it right. Next batch I am going to add the choc powder instead, less bitter and more lactose. Hoping to go the other end of the spectrum and then I can split the difference and hit the chocpot :D

Still learning and still enjoying it. This weekend i do my first all grain brew :beerbang:

After it's fermented, try throwing in some cacao nibs (health food or organic shops). I'm making a chocolate stout at the moment and will be doing the cacao nibs in a few days.

In your case, the good thing with lactose is that there isn't really any good or bad time to add it. If your brew isn't as sweet as you like it or doesn't have that mouthfeel.... just add more! That's if your kegging... or you could transfer to a secondary and add the lactose then.

Update : the Choc topping produced a weird skin to the tip of the brew. It has been a week since I bottled and it does tastes good. Hoping that it carbonates up a bit more but concerned about the fat content. Next time I am not going to use the topping and use nibs instead.

Hey mate,
Im in the process of my first choc oatmeal stout. Its been fermenting for 5 days now and its already 4 points of final gravity. I will transfer tmrw and add in 160g of cacao nibs to the second fermenter. This is for 24L. Tasting today all its missing is the chocolate notes. The cacao nibs were $15 for 200g so im thinking i may just add all of it in. Just hope the nibs bring on the chocolate flavours as ive read they tend to add more roasty flavours than chocolate. Hope it works out. Im so into AG brewing now its like an addiction :)
Keep us posted :)
Macca

Latest posts

Back