Chilling And Pitching?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leave my cube in the pool untill starter is ready as pool is now at good ale pitching temps. Went to fetch cube couple of days ago to find the rope holding it had been pulled free by the kids and wrapped zround the tramp . Tried in vain to get it out but ended up having to go in after it. Plate chiller from ross arrived yesterday, will still pool chill some brews but no more half hitches.

How could I control my chill rate so it only drops to just below 80C? I thought that (and was told) that the 10 plate chiller won't drop it to pitch temps, so was suprised it was at 25c in the cube. But the water in my tank is quite cold so thats possibl why.
Would slowing the flow rate of my water through the chiller be the answer? What about pumping the wort through faster instead of gravity feeding it??

What if you recirculate through the chiller back into the kettle, monitor the temp in the kettle until you hit 80 then straight into the cube? This assumes you have a pump though.

Do the recirc as suggested above or if you don't have the capacity to recirc you'll need to do some maths.

Like this;
Just chill a set amount of the wort to whatever your chiller gets to.
eg 20L knockout
4.5L @ 25C + 15.5L @ 95C = 20L @ 79.2C
So you only need to pass 4.5L through your chiller before dumping the rest in the cube.

Use the below calculator to work out what you need;
http://www.onlineconversion.com/mixing_water.htm

I would sooner chill, and hold at 1c for however long, rather than slow chill from 80c. There are advantageous little buggers that will start to inhabit your wort below 80c, and between 30c and 60c is your danger zone. Just chill completely and hold as low as possible till you can get yeast in there, i reckon.

Latest posts

Back