Chilli Sausages

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
After visiting Tony, and he gave me a small jar of dried Orange Habs, I went to my outlaws local butcher, who makes a nice chilli snag, and presented him with the jar. He took the lid off and nearly died when he took a sniff. :)

He ended up putting a spoonfull of flaked habs in 4kg of beef snags. To say they tasted nice with beer is an understatement, but I am glad he didnt put anymore in. He told me that they will get hotter the longer I leave them in the fridge. :eek:

You cant see and flakes, seeds or colour, but boy, do they bite when you eat them... :D

Chilli = good!

I have a heap of grinded up chillies from the folks in law, may have to use them in a similar recipe!

Sounds great.

Hey if you want a really awesome sausage recipe you have to give this one a try. A staple in my house!

Bigwheels Genuine Texas Hotlinks

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt (pork shoulder)
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper (or other chile flake to taste)
2 T. Cayenne (heat and colour)
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Morton's Tender Quick **
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator
while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced water over
the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and
mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are
done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Bob Wills
music and Lone Star Beer on the side.

** optional if using fresh. Contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform.

Goddamm those sausages sound good, been wanting to make snags for some time now, now I know who to ask and what to make :D

i have one of those food dehydrater things.. best idea ever for making your own herbs and chilli flakes etc..

Sounds great.

Hey if you want a really awesome sausage recipe you have to give this one a try. A staple in my house!

Bigwheels Genuine Texas Hotlinks

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt (pork shoulder)
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper (or other chile flake to taste)
2 T. Cayenne (heat and colour)
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Morton's Tender Quick **
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator
while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced water over
the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and
mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are
done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Bob Wills
music and Lone Star Beer on the side.

** optional if using fresh. Contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform.

I would certainly give this a go but I dont see the need for the Morts nor the msg especially if it is for a fresh sausage. Nitrate and nitrites and msg are things we dont really need to be putting in the body. If you are a butcher and selling your snags then by law I think you have to put the trites/trates in but for home I reckon you are better off with out them and dont need the preservative effects as I assume you are making , cooking and eating in the same day or two.

Try making them with out those bits and tell me what they are like. You actually have every thing there you need - salt garlic etc as preservative and add a bit of sugar or even some roasted capsican paste for sweetness if you want instead of the msg.

It is an American recipe which is why you have included those ingredients. Can you get Lone Star ion Aus I havent seen it.

I would certainly give this a go but I dont see the need for the Morts nor the msg especially if it is for a fresh sausage. Nitrate and nitrites and msg are things we dont really need to be putting in the body. If you are a butcher and selling your snags then by law I think you have to put the trites/trates in but for home I reckon you are better off with out them and dont need the preservative effects as I assume you are making , cooking and eating in the same day or two.

Try making them with out those bits and tell me what they are like. You actually have every thing there you need - salt garlic etc as preservative and add a bit of sugar or even some roasted capsican paste for sweetness if you want instead of the msg.

It is an American recipe which is why you have included those ingredients. Can you get Lone Star ion Aus I havent seen it.

G'day Paul,

Mate, to be honest I just posted the rec as original to be safe. I'm like you in that I am a seriously anti-additive sort of bloke, so I dont use any preservatives per se other than salt and lactic cultures (black magic that stuff is!). Lets be real, outside of salt, and especially as they are fresh sausage and you will freeze excess - forget the other rubbish. Bigwheel is a cranky sort of bloke , and like his sausage to look and taste a certain way. The flavours of this one are jyust great and really suit the Aussie pallette.

Speaking of which, I might actually whip up a batch based on lamb for A Day! :D

I'll let you know how they turn out.

Back