Chilli Beer How To ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has your mate the Hippie Chilli Co fella that eats all the chilli on U-tube been onto you mate?

I have done a lot of thinking of how to make a chilli beer. I think fresh chillis will lend a vegtable flavour.

Did you say they were dry?

Matbe make chop them up and add them with 10 min to go in the boil. Will steralise them too then.

cheers
Tony Yes he ( the Rev) has been onto me, think he might find my chilli tastes a bit gay after what he eats ;) I do like the raw (not dry) vege chilli flavour , kind of heat and the taste as well.I think when I make one its one chili per bottle, just the gay supermarket type, its enough.Unless you are going for a "Mega Death Chilli Beer" then a few Habs or Naga's might do the trick.I can eat the hot fellas in food but I cant see me drinking them.Stuff it Im off to drag out a bottle now and go cook a curry.
GB

Will depend on the beer you're putting the into, but I'd suggest starting with a Corona (stuff all taste), throw in 'x' weight of dried chilli. Recap it and let it sit for a few hours to infuse and then sample. Once you find the right sort of balance, just scale up the weight to the batch size of the brew..should be fairly close.

Tony Yes he ( the Rev) has been onto me, think he might find my chilli tastes a bit gay after what he eats ;) I do like the raw (not dry) vege chilli flavour , kind of heat and the taste as well.I think when I make one its one chili per bottle, just the gay supermarket type, its enough.Unless you are going for a "Mega Death Chilli Beer" then a few Habs or Naga's might do the trick.I can eat the hot fellas in food but I cant see me drinking them.Stuff it Im off to drag out a bottle now and go cook a curry.
GB

Crazy Ed's Original Cave Creek Chili Beer (North American Clone Brews)
20L OG 1046 FG 1012 4.3% abv 25 IBU

2.7kg Lager malt (or 1.4kg + 1kg LDME, if Kits and Bits)
454g Caraplils malt
227g Vienna malt
227g Flaked maize

6 AAUs Mt Hood Hops 60min
4 AAUs Mt Hood Hops Flame out

German lager yeast (Wyeast 2007)
Ferment 7 C 2 weeks
Secondary CC 4 C 5 to 6 weeks

Bulk prime 237ml pale DME

Small (5cm) dried chili pepper per bottle
Age 4 C for 6 weeks

Description: "Watch out - this looks like an ordinary, harmless golden lager, but the second you open the bottle, you know it isn't. Each bottle contains a 2-inch long(5cm) hot pepper, and you smell it and then taste it right away. Amazingly, though, there's also some beer there!"

Haven't tried it myself, but sounds something interesting for the future. Hope this helps! :)

I've experimented with dried chillis for my ginger beer and it gave it a nice little zing - only downside is that dried chilli alone does not hold much flavour and disipates after about the first 3 weeks in the keg.

What I did was 7tsp of dried chilli boiled in 2L water for 30 mins. Then strained and added to fermentor. If you want to get the flavour to last longer I would suggest the above but to also add a sliced birds eye to fermentor at 2, 4 and 6 days. You'll end up extracting the oils from the chillis and should get some pretty nice results.

Hi

I've made a few chilli wheats. I've always boiled my chillies in the sugar I use to bulk prime. Couple of cups of water, the appropriate amount of sugar and 6 - 10 thai chillies that I grew. The first time I did a bit of a test with eye dropping a bit into a glass of beer and tasting. Able to chuck in more chilli if not enough. Have had good success with this method. I have also used this process to only 'chillify' part of a batch as well.

Cheers..
Andrew

Hi Daawl,

I recently tried a bottle of Cave Creek Chili Beer at Pepe's Mexican restaurant in Newmarket, Brisbane. They describe it as "Napalm in a bottle. This brew uses Serrano chilis which are pretty darned hot. If you like a challenge, give Cave Creek a try. Not for the faint of heart." I was a bit dubious, but that was pretty accurate. It was hot - but not too hot. Definitely a sipping beer!

The video on their website goes into some (but not all) details of what they use e.g. Saaz hops (not Mt. Hood as per kenlock's recipe.) It might even be true...

Unless you can get hold of the same hybrid (50% less heat) Serrano chilis that fit in a stubbie, I'd probably try adding whatever hot - but not too hot - chili you can get to bottles of Cooper's Mexican Cerveza. A Bird's eye chili or two may do the trick; the longer you leave it, the hotter it should get (to a point.)

Alternatively, track down a supplier of Cave Creek Chili Beer. :D

I have got a Thomas Coopers Premium draught about to bottle - 30/08/11.
I am going to add a few chillis to bottles - I have a tepin Chilli tree.
Thought 1 chilli per stubbie & 2 per big bottle - will pierce a hole in chilli.
Only going to do a few to see how it goes - will let people know.

I have got a Thomas Coopers Premium draught about to bottle - 30/08/11.
I am going to add a few chillis to bottles - I have a tepin Chilli tree.
Thought 1 chilli per stubbie & 2 per big bottle - will pierce a hole in chilli.
Only going to do a few to see how it goes - will let people know.

WOW.
My Coopers Sparkling Chilli Ale worked very well.

I know it was 'only' a basic kit but I was keen to get my SOP down pat before going on to making better beers.
However having said that - I reckon it turned out pretty good.
The non-ChilliSparkling Ales are a nice everyday drinkin beer @ 4.1%.
The Chilli added ones are beaut. Just enough oomph to get a chilliflavour hit with burning the mouth or throat.
Only bugger of a thing is that it does kill the head tho the beer itself is fine.

Next is to try a chilli stout with the chilli added into the fermenting vessel.
Tho I am a bit unsure as to how best to do this. And I dont really want to waste an entire run of stout.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back