Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll be buying in some different varieties, birdseyes aren't really good at air drying down here. Cheers though. ;)

I tried germinating some seeds from a few anchos without any success, they were pretty old though.

One of my two birdseye plants died this year, and the other is looking like it's going the same way. Not happy.

I got one Guajillo seed to fire but no ancho or pasilla. :( I did also get one tomatillo to kick off as well but without a partner it wont fruit. <_<

How many people save their seeds? I'm wondering bacause there's so many chilli heads here that AHB could basically start their own Chilli Seed Bank with minimal costs to members. ie a couple of bucks for some seeds mainly to cover the cost of the envelope and postage.

The reason I bring this up is I just bought some red jalapeno seeds from chilliseedbank (to make chipoltes) and after postage it worked out at about $1 per seed, which I think is pretty steep.

So I'm willing to start this off. I've got a stack of Red Habanero seeds which I saved from some red hab's I bought from Woolies a few years ago. I don't know how viable they are but they've been kept dried in an envelope.
For a couple of bucks to my paypal account I'll post 15 seeds.

On the other side of this I'm after some more Orange/Chocolate hab seeds, so if anyone's keen to sell me some for a couple of bucks let me know.

cheers,
Mike

How many people save their seeds? I'm wondering bacause there's so many chilli heads here that AHB could basically start their own Chilli Seed Bank with minimal costs to members. ie a couple of bucks for some seeds mainly to cover the cost of the envelope and postage.

The reason I bring this up is I just bought some red jalapeno seeds from chilliseedbank (to make chipoltes) and after postage it worked out at about $1 per seed, which I think is pretty steep.

So I'm willing to start this off. I've got a stack of Red Habanero seeds which I saved from some red hab's I bought from Woolies a few years ago. I don't know how viable they are but they've been kept dried in an envelope.
For a couple of bucks to my paypal account I'll post 15 seeds.

On the other side of this I'm after some more Orange/Chocolate hab seeds, so if anyone's keen to sell me some for a couple of bucks let me know.

cheers,
Mike

The problem is that so many of us grow multiple varieties and having unhybridised seed is unlikely without alot of stuffing around.

Meh. I'd be happy to plant some mutants and see what pops up. :lol:

I have orange habs that I must have got years ago at the BGShed. The original plant is long gone, but I have a dozen grown from seeds in the last couple of months. I have used frozen seeds with sucess once... Scotch Bonnets I got from a friend....bloody lucky the membranes were intact!

InCider.

I bought some seeds from chillibird before reading all the bad reviews in this thread. Oh well at least they were pretty cheap.

chilli.png

my hot little basterds.

Trinidad scorpion 'butch T'

these can make a public spectacle of yourself if not careful!

FROM THE HIPPY SEED COMPANY

I'd be keen to share some of what I've got once I get growing.

Have some bhut jolokias germinating (from a single leftover I found!), there were particulary nasty last time I had them. So should be good.

Have some red habs around, and still awaiting my Trinidad scorpion butch t seeds.

I've just gotten about 40sq metres of space at a community garden, so I'm up for buying some seeds.

I've got some chilli seeds here, I think they're birdseyes- they're really tiny and quite potent. But I've got a crapload of seeds, and for $2 I'll send some seeds to anyone not in WA (I'm pretty sure its illegal to send seeds there...might even be SA as well...can someone clarify?)

PM me for paypal details. I'll have more seeds once I get some more chilli's established in my garden (got all sorts of other ones too for anyone interested I can give you a list)

Got my Butch Ts from Hippy Seed Co today.. had Bhuts from Chilli Seed Bank and none started.. :(
All my other habs, black pearls, scotch bonnets, bishops hats etc all starting. Thanks to Shonks for his seeds - I labeled them all real well.. until I noticed the permanent marker rubbed of all the pots!

those trinidads are unreal... good for a laugh watching people who big note themselves as chilli tough guys, i though i was one until they ripened!

My jolokia's from a chilli I found on the garage floor germinated!

Trinidads are just starting to sprout out of the jiffy pots too!

Also just bought a bottle of scorpion sting chilli sauce from the chilli factory... brilliant sauce, great flavour, good bite from the chilli. Don't need a hell of a lot to get some flavour/heat out of it too. Seems to just attack the back of your throat when you have it, no matter where in your mouth you put it, the back of the throat cops it first

I've got a heap of chilli plants growing out the front, make good ornamentals, but half of them are starting to get leaf curl as well. They are about 6 weeks on from transplanting. I bought some copper leaf curl spray but apparently that's for fungus not for the leaf curl virus. Anybody know of an effective spray?

chili_plants__Large_.jpg

FROM THE HIPPY SEED COMPANY

Neil's a crack up, gotta love his youtube clips :lol:

I'll be putting some Pusa Jwala's and some Jalapeno's (mmmmmmn poppers) in on the weekend.

Good weather for it!

I've got a heap of chilli plants growing out the front, make good ornamentals, but half of them are starting to get leaf curl as well. They are about 6 weeks on from transplanting. I bought some copper leaf curl spray but apparently that's for fungus not for the leaf curl virus. Anybody know of an effective spray?

View attachment 50338

Get some epsom salts into them mate. They are yellowing. Make a spray bottle of the stuff up and spray every week until they green up and 2 weekly. Also water in with epson salts until yellowing goes. They will be healthier and help fighting any viruses as well. Mine always turn yellowish when fruiting so hit them as described and they are mint after a few weeks.

I have fruiting and picking 3 x orange habs 2 x bhut jolokia, 3 x devils tongue, 2 x birds eyes and 2 x 7 pots. I am making fresh chilli paste out of them and freezing them in a 'special way' and it's awesome. When I make my next batch up i'll post pics etc. So easy to just snap off a chunk of chilli paste for cooking...

As a brewer I just happen to have epsom salts :lol:
Thanks Cubo

As a brewer I just happen to have epsom salts :lol:
Thanks Cubo

Considering the E and O are on opposite sides on the keyboard I think maybe yes, you are a drinker of beer, made at home, with epsom salts :lol:

PS: no worries :)

Back