Chest Freezer Not Chilling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, and im saying that wont work very well at all.

Because the air is a crap conductor. If your evaporator coils were placed inside the glycol (like a chiller) then it'd work fine as you would have a direct solid to liquid interface (copper->glycol). Here you have a solid to gas to solid to liquid interface (copper-air-container-glycol).

Try it if it costs ya nothing, all I'm saying is the real outcome may dissapoint you.

yes, and im saying that wont work very well at all.

Because the air is a crap conductor. If your evaporator coils were placed inside the glycol (like a chiller) then it'd work fine as you would have a direct solid to liquid interface (copper->glycol). Here you have a solid to gas to solid to liquid interface (copper-air-container-glycol).

Try it if it costs ya nothing, all I'm saying is the real outcome may dissapoint you.

Sure i saw this idea somewhere else on the forum too. He was trying to create a lager fridge. From memory it worked reasonably well but he had trouble keeping it below 12 in the summer. Based on that, i'd think you've got no chance of getting to 4-6.

why does it have to not work! :) might see if I can get them fixed instead sounds easier...

why does it have to not work! :) might see if I can get them fixed instead sounds easier...

Gava, I also have a clapped out freezer that broke down as soon as I bought it...PITA. I'm pretty sure mine needs gas. I should find out what that will cost.

Sera, you sound like you know what you're talking about. How well do you think a chiller type device would work in a keg? Say there was some long U shaped SS tube through the lid, with glycol pumping through it? Kind of like ice in a glass. But with the glass sitting in my dead freezer.
I know it's an odd idea.

OK guys, while we are talking dodgy freezers I thought I would tap into the information bank so to speak. I just laid my hands on a 700 L kelvinator freezer. Pretty good nick. The reason I got hold of it was it was starting, cooling down, and then once it shut off at desired temp it would not restart. I figured, no prob a fridgemate would sort that GUFF out. However, got it home and plugged it in. Making a Semi high pitch eeeeeeee noise for say 10-20 seconds, stopping for same duration then making the same sound again. Seems to be no audible compressor, motor, ergitron action happening in there at all. Apart from the noise that is.

Any suggestions from the floor where I might look at starting to fault find? I got the freezer for nix so I am not adverse to spending a small amount on getting it running, especially considering it's size. All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Head

Any suggestions from the floor where I might look at starting to fault find?

Sounds like the compressor is "cactus". It sounds like it is siezed and the starter is going into "overload" and stopping. Try tapping it (the compressor) with a hammer to see if it starts properly.

Your best bet is to find some retired fridge mechanic that still tinkers for cash. There is quite a few selling repaired fridges on eBay. That's how I met my preferred fridge mechanic and he is really cheap. Even taught me how to install and gas a house split system I bought off him cheap, as well as lending me the gas and gauges to do the job.

If you can find someone like this, then that's your best option, because I'm sure you can get something similar working from eBay for cheaper than employing someone anonymous that will hit your wallet hard to fix it.

I turned on the freezer and it sounded like the compressor was either working or trying to work.

it should either run or not run, will hear it hum if its running. if it doesnt start normally you will hear a click after some time (which is the relay on the compressor sensing high current and clicking out cutting the power to the compressor) then if you leave it powered the relay will click again and the compressor will try to start again. it normally takes a few minutes before it resets.
if the unit is running but not cooling you have a leak.

I was thinking of using Glycol pumped around with a submerged bilge pump.. this will sit in my freezer box which is around -10c to -15c..

if you lived in perth gava i could of modified that that old chest freezer to make your drawing a reality ;) and smaller

if you wanted to make a chiller you can take an old air-conditioner and stick the evaporator in an eski to cool the liquid. its a bit bulky though
that would bring liquid down -10c in 30-1hr

Sera, you sound like you know what you're talking about. How well do you think a chiller type device would work in a keg? Say there was some long U shaped SS tube through the lid, with glycol pumping through it? Kind of like ice in a glass. But with the glass sitting in my dead freezer.
I know it's an odd idea.

Actually its a sensible idea using a chiller type devce to cool liquids like that, because the volume of the 'fridge' becomes as small as possible, meaning you have more room for insulation. More insulation, more stable temps and less power consumption. Also, dont use submersible bilge pumps - the heat from the motor is expelled into the liquid, as in, the pump is liquid cooled. Get an in-line pump, these generally have external cooling, or at the very least dont radiate their case heat into your glycol.

It would make sense to build a box, put your keg in a rubbish bag, fill between the box and the outside of the bag with expandafoam (heaps, like 15cm gap between the two) and make a super-insulated keg, which you cool via a glycol line. In fact this is kind of what I am planning to do for my fermenters, which will not require much cooling but still some.

I've currently been investigating these issues as I've run into issues trying to store my 4 kegs (with room to upgrade to 6.) Most fridge volumes/dimensions lie and don't account for the compressor box/crisper and fixed trays that make fitting kegs efficiently into a fridge a danm nightmare.

Thus I am currently building a fridge from an old fridge, and a new box made out of cold room panels, which fit 2 rows of 3 kegs perfectly. Should be finished in under a month. Pics uploaded as stuff happens, to inspire...

Actually its a sensible idea using a chiller type devce to cool liquids like that...

Thanks for the feedback Sera. Something to think about. Would be interested in seeing these picks if you get that project together.

Cheers

no worries. would suggest using copper over stainless, since the heat transfer is a lot better. but stainless would probably last longer (acidic conditions prevent bacterial infections, but also corrode metals quicker). However i haven't heard a case of anyone having to replace copper piping in stills or beer home brewing stuff due to wort corrosion..

Back