Cheap stir plate - USB cooling pad

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nvs-brews said:
Do you think these would work at all?

or should i wait until i can find something with variable speeds?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Notebook-Cooling-Pad-USB-Power-LED-Light-Cooler-Fan-for-Laptop-14-1-15-4-/141623620799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item20f96cf4bf

I have the magnets from a previous job..
If you're so inclined, I can't see why you couldn't add speed control to one of those.

elcarter said:
I had a look inside the digital stir plate construction.

I was impressed with the level of detail they went to, I'd have a crack at the DIY kit if money was tight but within your budget.

My Pc fan in a box attempt worked well but always lacked that vortex and had trouble with magnet retention with the cheaper "not so flat" bottom flasks.
My PWM controlled CPU fan stir plate does a great job. My first attempt wasn't a success and wouldn't hold the stir bar in place. The only modification I made was to replace the tiny $1 magnets from ebay with decent ones from Jaycar. Now it works a treat - I can run it flat out and not lose the bar even with a cheap slightly dome bottomed flask.

IMG_1340.JPGIMG_1341.JPG

So the end result looks pretty flash, didnt know it had little LED's..

If only it worked as well as it looked.. the fan if you could imagine it was mounted upside down, so i could not mount magnets onto the top of the fan..instead i mounted the magnets onto the blades.,
edit: if i spent more time and could really be fucked i could change this.. maybe i will later but for now, i will live with how its mounted

I get a small whirlpool @ 1100ml (prob more if i used less water)..
have not tried with yeast/malt as yet.

Im sure it's better than nothing..

Cooling fan $11
Magnets i had round the house
Stir bar $7

its not the best BUT its a start and it was cheap!

Havent looked into that, cheers for the heads up!
but for $11 its doubtful... i could disconnect them if they are anyhow
:beerbang:

Put mine together from bits of eBay magnets,cooling fan and had the 12V DC plug from a phone.

Thing works well

attachment=81134:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433814392.856796.jpg]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433814392.856796.jpg

Back