Cheap Stainless Steel Pots ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
i am not yet into all grail yet. But when i saw these i thought they might be of interest to you guys.

40l pot $65
60l pot $75
80l pot $85
100l pot $120

they were at the wantirna sunday market. She esther every week

Holy shit that's cheap!

Assuming they aren't that thin that they buckle when you pick 'em up, looks like a good find.

Before acquiring some 50L kegs, i used to use a 30Lt Aluminium crab cooker and that cost me $100......

A couple of the 60L ones would be good for double batches without having to part with much coin.

i'd soo be keen on something like this. i've heard of these el cheapo SS pots kicking around and figured they'd make a perfectly good electric kettle/HLT etc.

anyone know anywhere in Adelaide that sells these?

i'd soo be keen on something like this. i've heard of these el cheapo SS pots kicking around and figured they'd make a perfectly good electric kettle/HLT etc.

anyone know anywhere in Adelaide that sells these?
Next time you are at the Central Markets, check out all the Chinese Grocers, there is a few that stock them. About the same price as above too. Short fatter pots seem to be more common though. Dont every try lifting these pots by the handles when full, they are only spot welded on.

cool will look into it, i shouldn't have to move it at all when full.

They are an excellent way into a s/s pot. Just be careful with them as they most likely would rust. (not meaning to sound negative) They would be excellent to get into AG brewing. :beerbang:

QldKev

I brought one that looks like this, its cheap SS im currently using for my HLT for water so works ok.. was using it for my Kettle until I upgrade to a Robinox..

Not bad for the starting point but if your serious i would save for the real deal.. much less hassle.. does rust..

gav

edit: quick test, take a magnet.. if it sticks cheap and nasty.. mine does this and im still using.. got a 75lt for $68 for that price i had to get it.

edit: quick test, take a magnet.. if it sticks cheap and nasty.. mine does this and im still using.. got a 75lt for $68 for that price i had to get it.

magnet test is not always a sign of bad stainless... it's just a sign of high carbon stainless. I'm not saying anything a magnet sticks to is good or bad, it's just not an accurate measure....

i have a food processing background and some of my best knives (read hundreds of dollars) still stick to a magnet wall hanger... they're just a high carbon stainless, knives usually are because it makes them softer and easier to sharpen...

but hey if i was into AG i'd be into these pots too :D

ive seen these very pots at wantirna, they are quite thin and have no thick base. but they are cheap.

ive seen these very pots at wantirna, they are quite thin and have no thick base. but they are cheap.

Yep, well you get what you pay for. Mind you, if I was getting started in AG I'd be snapping one of these up for sure ;)

Guys...

I'm in Cairns , which is 3/4 of the way to as far away as you can get. About 18 mths ago I bought a Aluminium 80 lt from a local catering supply place.

Its a 4mm thick ( i.e. good thermal conduction) stockpot and the current price is $145 inc GST. Built like the proverbial brick dunny!!

I have seen these SS pots in my local camping world and was not that impressed.

What I'm trying to say is ... if you can afford some more you will get a superior product that will last till you are too old to pour your own beer!!!

If you can afford a Robinox.. well great.. but other midrange solutions exist.

growler

If i had the cash. Id be buying 3 x 80L and 1 x 60L.
80L HLT with electric element
80L Kettle with electric element
60L goes into 80L and insulate the gap. = Insulated Mash tun.

For $330 you'd get an all electric double batch system. Doesn't really matter how thick the base is as it will never be direct heated.

I have what looks to be one of these pots, an 80L jobby. I biab and it works quite well... They really rust up bad on those bolts if you soak it in napisan overnight, so i try not to do this.

My 80L one only cost me $100, so a very cheap way to get into double batching. Leaves more money for other things, like a mill and massive burner :)

Don't quote me but I think that the price is usually a good indicator of cheap pots. You get what you pay for.

Has anyone seen these pots recently? I have tried the wantirna sunday market without luck, i also went to the caribbean market scoresby, sprinvale and oakleigh.

I did find a few in sprinvale however they where $455 and one was $650 - far more than i can afford.

I want 2x 80Lt pots and dont mind them being the cheaper thin pots as i have had one for my boiler for some years and its done the job for what i expected.

My last thought would be somewhere in footscray markets?

Is it a seasonal thing? eg during summer they are more likely to be available? (assuming they are mostly sold for making large batches of tomato sauce or something like that?)

If anyone has seen them in melbourne's east/south east i would love to know where

cheers

Latest posts

Back