Cascade "chocolate Mahogany" Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just went into Coles and came across a new K&K range that I hadn't seen before, Cascade. I knew Coopers, tooheys and others did kits but I hadn't seen the Cascade kits.... maybe because I dont usually shop at coles, usually woolies.

So I bought the "Chocolate Mahogany Porter". And was wondering how I should go about making this.

Any suggestions for this kit? extra hops/malts etc? Which fermentables to use?

Cheers, Pok :chug:

Yep, cascade have been making kits for quite some time.

Type "mahogany" into the search box. 4th one down is a 2 page topic on the kit.

My next brew will use this kit:

1 Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter
400g Yellow Box Honey
1kg Dark Liquid Malt Extract
15g Fuggles ~10-15mins
100g Roasted Barley (Steeped for 30mins)

I have heard nothing but good things about this recipe so it should be good. The roasted barley is my addition because I have it lying around and it can only make the brew better.

Ive done this on twice not bad results but the kit does need some additions, both times it was done with 1 kilo of liquid malt and it needed something else so I dry hopped with about 20g Hersbruker. This kit does need something additional!!! Good Luck.

JCG

Ive done this on twice not bad results but the kit does need some additions, both times it was done with 1 kilo of liquid malt and it needed something else so I dry hopped with about 20g Hersbruker. This kit does need something additional!!! Good Luck.

JCG
I agree, JCG.
I have done this kit a couple of times now, both with 1 kg liquid choc malt and 250 grms light malt extract, the finished beer was very nice with a reasonable amount of body and fairly good mouth feel, but it does need a little something more just to build on the finish (I tend to like a fuller finish in dark beers).
I might try extra hops next time, any ideas??? :party:

Back