Carbonation Issues - Sanitizer killed yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olliegosnell

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

Im now drinking my 2nd batch of AG and its....buggered.

I had an excellent 1st batch, and pretty much mirrored it on the second. Very little changed here except the way I sanitized my bottles.
First time round was hot water+dish soap. This left a slight soapy flavor in some of the bottles & learned that its not the best way to go about it.

2nd batch I used iodine & hot water. Soaked the bottles, shook off excess water/iodine & bottled with carb drops just like the 1st batch.
This batch has no carbonation (after 3 weeks in bottle, sitting above 20C) and tastes very sweet.

Im thinking some of the sanitizer is left in the bottle and killed any leftover yeast. Is this possible? Theres just so much sugar left in the beer and its much sweeter than when I bottled it.
I overdid the iodine a little when sanitizing - maybe 2/3 drops per litre instead of 1.

Is there anything I can do except keep it in the bottle and hope it gets better?
I have my 3rd batch in the bottle now...hoping that its not going to turn out the same.

Your iodine solution should not have killed off the yeast, I would give the bottles a good swirl to get the yeast back into suspension.

However

What sort of yeast did you use? Was it fresh? Did your beer hit the FG that was expected?

Thanks Jaypes,

Ill give them a good swirl and let time do its thing.

Yeast was US04, dried. It was fresh and did a great job in primary fermentation. FG was good.
I think it may just be down to slower yeast and that there is very little sediment in the bottles. As always I just need a little patience.

did you CC the beer for an extended time or anything?

As for bottle cleaning - I use iodophor (no rinse) as my sanitiser for pretty much everything and haven't had any issues. I wouldn't want to leave to much excess in and for bottling I always try to get as much out as possible. For other things like cleaning out a fermentor where I usually end up with more iodine left over I might rinse out any excess with boiled water afterwards

Latest posts

Back