Carbonation differences between glass and pet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perko8

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if there is any difference in the rate beer in glass bottles carbs up compared to pet bottles?
I opened one pet bottle on Wednesday, which was only 3 days after bottling, eager I know - but the bottles were really hard so I wanted to see what it was like. It tasted pretty good! Anyway it was quite fizzy. Pic below;
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425124923.240573.jpg

Opened a stubby tonight, and it had very much less fizz. Didn't taste as good being a bit flat. Is this normal?
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425124980.916535.jpg

The pet bottles were bottled last.

Could the sugar (bulk primed in bottling bucket) have settled at the bottom? I added the dissolved dextrose first and then ran the beer out of fv into the bottom of the bottling bucket with hose, it swirled around nicely, and I did not stir further.

3 days.
stop worrying and relax. give it time.
they will carb up.

Glass probably insulating a bit better from outside heat, and if you didn't stir the bucket while bottling there is a chance that the last bottles may have more sugar in them.

yum beer said:
Glass probably insulating a bit better from outside heat,
Would agree with that, the glass bottles should take about 2 weeks to carb. up, the PET bottles should settle and leave in the fridge for a while to chill down before drinking.
Cheers

Opened a stubby last night and it was the same, very little carbonation.

bulk prime mix with boiling water to dissolve the sugar.

Wynnum, that is what I did?
150gm dextrose, about a cup of biking water, cooled, added to bottling bucket, tube from fv into bottom of bucket, swirled around nicely.

I bottled 23l into 30 stubbies, then te rest into pet 750ml bottles.

I've had 4 really firm pet bottles, the rest firm ish. Opened two of the pet bottles, after a week and they were really fizzy. Opened two stubbies one after a week one after over a fortnight, both the same lack of fizz.

Hmmm....

maybe the caps on the stubbie you opened after 2 weeks wasn't perfectly sealed and released some pressure?

Just opened a pet bottle which was harder than when bottled, but not nearly as hard as te ones I've previously opened. It is flat. Should I add a carb drop to each bottle and re cap?

Sounds to me like you have had a bad mix of priming sugar into your wort.
Was the mix boiled well before adding to the FV, if not maybe heavy sugar crystals have fallen to the bottom during bottling.
If you have boiled well be sure and swirl the FV while you are bottling to keep the syrup suspended, it is heavier and will want to drop out as it isn't mixed thoroughly with your beer.

Is your capper new/newish, the bell can wear out and give a loose seal, but given you now have PET doing the same I'm betting on poor mixing.

yum beer is probably close to the problem, I'd add a carb drop to the flat ones as you have suggested, it does work but leave at least 2 weeks before checking.
Cheers

Thanks guys.
Added dextrose to them tonight.
Will leave and see.

Back