carbonation caps not working

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talco92

Reaction score
I bought a carbonation cap recently but the connection between the gas disconnect and the cap seems to be dodgy. When I turn on the gas I can hear and feel it leaking out the side (i.e it is not going into the cap)
Has anyone else had this problem? and did you solve it?

When you take off the disconnect the poppet does not spring back to fill the hole properly.
carbonation cap.jpg
I reckon this is because the internal spring wasn't made with this use in mind and instead of having a flush surface where the spring comes to an end, it is uneven so the poppet actually tilts to the side when its sitting in the spring.
carb cap spring and poppet.jpg

I tried using an original ball lock gas post from my keg with the cap set-up and it worked fine. The PET bottle pressurised and no gas leaked.
This leads me to conclude that the issue is with the carbonation cap post, and that it hasn't been properly machined to fit both gas and liquid disconnects.

Having said all this, I was using a non-keg king one I got off ebay. Has anyone used the keg king ones?
kudos to the ebay seller who sent me out a replacement, and refunded me the money when that didn't work either.
(worth noting the ebay ad mentions a 'barbtail' but you only get a regular gas diptube as per the image)

Might sound a silly question but..

Are you sure you haven't lost the seal under the lid? I've lost a couple of them.. Shits me, the seal sticks to the bottle and it's easy to miss

Nah, I noticed that it tends to get forced into the bottleneck if you tighten the cap too much so I've made sure to check every time!

I've got 5 from KK. One has leaked under pressure out the centre pin/poppet? thing. Only in silence you'll here it when in a 2lt PET bottle of pressurises solution. It will show the tiny bubbles. These things bother me enough to actually disassemble the carb cap, clean all and lightly lubed the O rings etc. Fiddly farkn task but that fixed it.

Or it can be your disconnects. KK will tell you. There are the cheap fittings and the better tight fittings. I can note the differences for sure.
The tight fittings don't leak and a little harder to fit and disconnect. Sometimes its just that tiny bit of keg lube smeared on O rings and moving connecting parts like disconnects.

added: No your equipment. B)

I have one KK cap and use it with KK premium steel disconnects. So far no issues, but it has only seen minimal use.

Back