Carbonating 50l Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opposition

Reaction score
Help....

A mate only gets in 50l kegs, but cannot pour anything but head....

What is best practice with these to pass on??

Cheers,

Dean.

A mate only gets in 50l kegs, but cannot pour anything but head....

What is best practice with these to pass on??
Something similar to the Ross method of force carbonating should do the trick
but with a 50l keg being so heavy you'd need to roll it on it's side.
I've done it with my 45L ball lock keg and it worked fine.
There's an excelent method posted a while back, I'll see if I can find the thread...

Edit: Here ya go...
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...rce+carbonation
This is for corny kegs and I'm not sure how those 50l keg connections work but if he force carbs it I suppose
he just needs to turn of the gas every now and then, shake of the excess co2 at various times until it sits on 140-160pa.
I go up to about 200 myself.

Well actually seeing as I've never carbed a 50l keg I don't even know if this will work :unsure:

Ah jeez, it's late, do you mean he gets the kegs already full and carbed from a pub and he just can't pour right?

Read through the wiki, you should be able to just hook it up to the gas and wait for it to reach equilibrium. A 50L keg will take much longer to chill and much longer to reach eq when compared to a corny though.

I've been using 50l kegs for a little while now for homebrew and find the gassing step is about the same as a 19l keg. I put the prurged keg in the fridge for at least 24 hours, then gas at about 300kpa for a good 10 - 12 hours. I tend to keep the pouring pressure low and turn it off most of the time until the pour gets too slow. I also tend to pull the connector up at the end of a session.

Back