Caramunich Iii

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Worst Website Ever....
Reaction score
Afternoon,

I'm doing a beer this weekend which calls for 5.7% CaraMunich III. I've never used it before but have read an EBC of between 140 - 160. I have TF Crystal in stock which is around the same EBC rating (145), but besides the fact that one is German and one is English, is there a great deal flavour wise and can I sub the TF for the Wey.? Or should I use around 4.5% TF and add a little Melanoidin if the CaraMunich has a little more 'malt'?

Cheers.

Duff said:
Afternoon,

I'm doing a beer this weekend which calls for 5.7% CaraMunich III. I've never used it before but have read an EBC of between 140 - 160. I have TF Crystal in stock which is around the same EBC rating (145), but besides the fact that one is German and one is English, is there a great deal flavour wise and can I sub the TF for the Wey.? Or should I use around 4.5% TF and add a little Melanoidin if the CaraMunich has a little more 'malt'?

Cheers.
[post="111332"][/post]​

Hi Duff,
Crystal and caramunich are worlds apart. I think your second option crystal/melanoidin would be better. The caramunich is more malt where as the crystal is more toffee.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I'll pick some up this week to try.

Cheers.

AndrewQLD said:
Duff said:
Afternoon,

Cheers.
[post="111332"][/post]​

Hi Duff,
Crystal and caramunich are worlds apart. I think your second option crystal/melanoidin would be better. The caramunich is more malt where as the crystal is more toffee.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="111340"][/post]​

I wanted to use Caramunich in a grain bill I milled today, did not have any so used crystal/melanoidin as Andrew said :) just guess it at 200g crystal and 400g melanoidin in a 6kg grain bill :) close to something I had done not long ago which I liked, not to style [who cares] but good to drink

Latest posts

Back