Canberra U-brew-it

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barto1308

Reaction score
So has anyone out there been to the Canberra U-Brew-it? have experiences of the other u-brew-it setups in other states? A friend of mine is tossing up the idea of heading out there to do up a batch (not a home brewer himself) and asked if i'd be interested in going along...

Or, am I breaking some sort of code of honour as a home brewer in attending such an establishment?

I also hear that the place is up for sale... could be an oppotunity for someone to start up their own micro-brewery...

I also hear that the place is up for sale... could be an oppotunity for someone to start up their own micro-brewery...

Wig & Pen and Zierholz quaking in their boots at the thought ....

Had a few samples from people who have made brews there and at other similiar establishments. Underwhelmed by the produce but then again I'm comparing it to some high class AG HB.

That said, it is fun for the participants, a novel way for non brewers to see the brewing craft albeit on a simpler production scale than most here (extract malts, bulletproof yeasts and high fermentation regimes).

Mind you, Id love to be able to use their canning facilities for some of my brews ....

$480,000 buys the establishment - if I won lotto I think I might dabble .. just for the fun of it!

Tell your mate to go for it and go along for the fun (but don't tell them they are doing everything wrong)

I have seen 2 brew you own places, just extract brews, and the one who had *some* grain was boiling crystal grain in the wort...

If you already have the gear, you are better off just doing an extract brew at home (or all rain). I get it for those who don't have the space or the gear though.

It is fun going along and doing the brew and enjoying a beer at the same time. Same applies to bottling time. Found that most beers produced have a very similar taste which would be down to being all extract. But like I said it's good fun for the first time or so

My mate does it in Adelaide and i tag along with my youngfella and help bottle.Its o.k., mate drinks different styles of beer to me, i would say there "hook" is its cheap and easy.Not a bad arvo though if someone else is driving.

My brother in law did a batch at the canberra one. He has 5 brothers and a father who loves his beer as well as myself....he couldnt give it away. Ended up pouring them down the sink. I wouldnt waste your money.
Cheers
Steve

Before starting homebrew i did a few batches with the local BOP in Brisbane. Handy for big events like buck's parties/weekends. It's a bit of fun going in there and trying out their different styles. I do remember that there was very little variation in taste between beers.

If i ever want to do that kind of thing again i'll go to Bachus Brewing for all grain brew on premises. The proprietor knows a thing or 2 about homebrew too. :ph34r:

Given the ease of AG homebrew and the fact that you save next to nothing by using BOPs (remember you have to pay excise at BOPs), why bother? Surely, you'd be better off teaching him to brew properly on your set up or coming along to a Canberra Brewers meeting and bringing him along to learn a bit too.

Given the ease of AG homebrew and the fact that you save next to nothing by using BOPs (remember you have to pay excise at BOPs), why bother? Surely, you'd be better off teaching him to brew properly on your set up or coming along to a Canberra Brewers meeting and bringing him along to learn a bit too.

Boring answer .. much more fun to go along and watch (and listen) to the (on site) experts rave on about the quality of the beer they will make and see how they do so much wrong (in our opinion) in comparison to what we do. Just don't make smartarsed comments at a U Brew-It - goes down as well as a turd on Bondi Beach. Best to sit pat malone on our knowledge and keep our smugness in check. (from past experience - just not worth it)

:beerbang:

Latest posts

Back