Can You Use Android Phone With Your Tv?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I bought a new TV for the spare room. No aerial plug at that end of the house but the idea is to watch Blu Rays and Internet TV as I have 200 Gb on my new plan so heaps of bandwidth.
WLAN is pumping a good speed so I've tried it with laptop via HDMI cable. However the laptop is a pain to use and my phone is playing TV perfectly - better than the gutless Win 7 laptop if anything.

That would be perfect, as the the phone could be a a de-facto armchair remote as well.

Is it just a question of plugging the USB from the phone to the USB on the TV and searching for USB source, or would there be compatability issues? I haven't tried it yet as I'm not keen to connect my phone to an unknown factor :huh:

If your phone is capable of appearing to be an external drive then it might work but you'd have to control it with the telly.

If your telly streams data (Wifi) then you could almost certainly do it.

Might have more luck plugging the laptop into the computer then getting an app that'll let you use the phone as a remote control for your media player in the computer.

If you've got a USB thumb drive just load your files onto that and leave it in the telly (assuming that'll actually work and your TV's USB port isn't just for firmware updates).

I don't think your phone will stream over the USB port (but I haven't given it ago).
You can buy an android powered media player that will connect to the telly via HDMI and connect to the net over your wifi.

Some thing like this,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Measy-A5A-Andro...ht_10321wt_1037

There are lots of options out there just have a search for media players

Depends what type of Android phone you have. Some phones are MHL compatable, for which there is a cable which will mirror what is on your phones screen. I have done this with my galaxy S2, to watch AFL. The cables are available on ebay for around $10.00.
I don't know about any other solution.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Back