Can You Review My Yeast Cultivation Technique?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuahardie

Beer, so much more than a breakfast drink
Reaction score
Howdy,

Over the weekend I tried to reculture some commercial yeast from a stubby.

My process was this.
Take 30gms of LDM disolve in 300ml of boiling water.
Chill the wort to room temp and pour the dregs of 4 Wit Trappist stubbies into the wort making sure to get all the yeast off the bottom of the bottle.
Pour wort into a sterile PET bottle, shake the buggery out of it, seal with a lid.

Waited 3 days randomly agitating wort, and cracking the lid to release any excess pressure.

As of this point it has not worked. The yeast has not generated any pressure in the bottle, and the wort still smells totally malty, no yeast smell. No krausen or sediment has formed. Have I done something wrong, or was this a case of right technique, wrong yeast.

Any suggestions for saving this? Or should I just chalk this one up to experience, and try again with a different type of bottle yeast.

Thanks in advance.
Josh

What temperature have you kept your starter at? 20C is best.

What was the manufacture data on the bottles?

I guess the good thing is, if it still smells malty, your hygiene practices are up to scratch :)

Howdy,

Over the weekend I tried to reculture some commercial yeast from a stubby.

My process was this.
Take 30gms of LDM disolve in 300ml of boiling water.
Chill the wort to room temp and pour the dregs of 4 Wit Trappist stubbies into the wort making sure to get all the yeast off the bottom of the bottle.
Pour wort into a sterile PET bottle, shake the buggery out of it, seal with a lid.

Waited 3 days randomly agitating wort, and cracking the lid to release any excess pressure.

As of this point it has not worked. The yeast has not generated any pressure in the bottle, and the wort still smells totally malty, no yeast smell. No krausen or sediment has formed. Have I done something wrong, or was this a case of right technique, wrong yeast.

Any suggestions for saving this? Or should I just chalk this one up to experience, and try again with a different type of bottle yeast.

Thanks in advance.
Josh

looks ok to me...
one issue is it could be one of those beers where they use one yeast from primary fermentation and then another for bottle conditioning. They may have put a lager yeast in, and that might take some time to get going.
Also have to assume the beer has been handled well in its long journey from Belgium.

Allan

I'd say its temperature based.
I have some Hoegaarden yeast I farmed using the exact method of which you speak.
:)
Good luck

What temperature have you kept your starter at? 20C is best.

What was the manufacture data on the bottles?

I guess the good thing is, if it still smells malty, your hygiene practices are up to scratch :)

Yeah the temp was in the 18-20degree range, cause I had it in my fermentation fridge with my latest brew.
I have since thrown the bottles, so I don't have a best before date on the bottles, but the original beer tasted just fine to me.

sound pretty much how i do i , i think my ratio of DME to water is 80gms per litre , some take longer than others to go , i use a bung with an airlock in top of the bottle to avoid having to open it up all the time to release pressure ... now i use a stir plate and conicals doing pretty much the same thing in a different container ..
perhaps you just got one that doesnt want to work... keep trying your method seems ok ...

Back