Can Yeast Die From C02 Poisoning?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Can yeast be killed by too much c02?

I tried a yeast starter which I assumed wasnt working cos it didnt do anything over 4-5 days, and then I tried boiling it and adding new yeast and trying again, left it 4 days or so and still nothing...

I forgot about it for what must have been more than a week, and I remembered yesterday...

Well, now I know what bottle bombs are, the beer squirted out everywhere like a volcano, I let all the c02 out and then resealed it...

So obviously, it started working at some stage, so my question is, is the yeast in there still ok? Or is there a chance its been killed by the excessive amount of c02 in the beer?

i kno yeast can be shut down by excessive co2 pressure. I PEt bottle of yeast in the fridge and it looked like bursting so i let off the pressure and it kicked off again in the fridge.

i kno yeast can be shut down by excessive co2 pressure. I PEt bottle of yeast in the fridge and it looked like bursting so i let off the pressure and it kicked off again in the fridge.

So by shut down you mean go to sleep?

So I should try repitch on some new wort and see if I can get it going again?

never heard of CO2 poisining the yeast!!
Maybe some one else can answer that.
But the the starter should be right providing it is "clean" and enough left.
It may take a day to adjust to the wort but it will be rich of food and ready to go.
A good aeration and yadidada.....
matti

wow, i typed like a spazz lol

Was your yeast starter in a sealed bottle?

Yeah I just use a 750ml PET bottle and unscrew the cap every now and then to let the pressure out, but forgot about this one...

Its mainly cos it took more than 4 days to do anything <_<

ahhh cool, yeah sounds like what happened to my harvested yeast, it wont krausen if there's a bit of pressure in the bottle, i'd crash chill it and pour off the beer, have a taste, you'll know if its gone bad, but of you were clean to start with it should be fine.

ahhh cool, yeah sounds like what happened to my harvested yeast, it wont krausen if there's a bit of pressure in the bottle, i'd crash chill it and pour off the beer, have a taste, you'll know if its gone bad, but of you were clean to start with it should be fine.

Cheers mate, taste test on B)

Obviously the yeast wasn't in great shape originally, you've woken it up and given it a feed now, so crash chill pour off the beer and feed it more wort around 1.040, the healthy guys you now have will be up and away much quicker than last time. Both Alcohol and Co2 affect yeast performance but wont kill it. More to do with slowing/stopping fermentation, some info re this in the latest Basic Brewing (podcast) subject - Attenuation.

Back