Can Trub Be Used As A Fertilizer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for all things beer related going into the soil. only thing to keep in mind is that hops can be poisonous to dogs, so dont let them get at it if you can help it. Ive got a dog and he's never shown any interest in hops, so its not a big worry. he does loves some spent grain mixed up in his food though.

That`s right re. hops being toxic to dogs. :(
On another note, when we got our minature Fox Terrier, I always gave him the yeast deposit from the bottom of the bottle, which he lapped up like there was no tomorrow. He`s 14 now, built like a little brick shithouse and still runs like the wind :D
And yes, trub can only do good things for your lawn/garden. If there is a lot of hop residue in it though , I`d be hosing it well in, case the dog gets curious.

staggalee

If you guys wnt to keep fertilising the lawn so you can mow it every weekend then grreat! there is something about having a coldie after mowing the lawn...
But give it to your animals first if you have any, chickens love trub when it is diluted slightly with water then chook grain is added over night so it can absorb the vitamins within. Nothing but slightly swollen grain which is easier for them to digest. Next is the pigs, they absolutely gulp it down as do the heffers...mooooo!
then i would give it to your trees or your shrubs, then your compost or worm farm then maybe your lawn if you really enjoy those hard earned thirsts :chug: and if your really keen make some promite its great in gravy.

I find that adding a little dolomite & blood & bone to the compost bin gets the pH back on track & keeps the worms happy & yeh, dumping your fermenter sludge on a bare spot of lawn is good too.

TP :beer:

I just got my first hop rhyzome :icon_drool2: Yay!!!

And I also happen to need to bottle a batch tonight, should I plant my rhyzome, then go bottle the beer, then layer some trub over it to encourage growth?

I`d be giving the rhyzome a couple of weeks to establish itself in new surroundings first, then give it a dose. For what you pay for rhyzomes,you wouldn`t want to overdo it for the sake of a bit of trub that would be chucked out anyway.

staggalee.

I tried dumping spent grain on a corner of my lawn (about 5 times in different corners) and raked it out a bit. Killed whatever it touched. Maybe in smaller doses it would be OK, or throw it in a worm farm or compost heap as suggested earlier.

dumping all trub/ hops / rinsing water will not only help your garden but also will reduce your carbon footprint....let's petition Kevin Rudd and get a tax exemption on all brewing supplies...... I love the way my home brewing helps the environment....

Back