Can I save the batch? (Poor airlock seal)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abmcdonald

Reaction score
So, I haven't brewed in a while (been overseas for 6 months). Came back to realise my wife put my gear out in the shed in which the fermenter became mouldy. So I bought a new fermenter and fresh bavarian wort. Now, simple to add yeast and go which i have done countless times, but for some reason the yeast I thought wasn't fermenting properly. There were no bubbles in the air lock. So after 3 days I stirred the batch to restart the yeast (it looked like it was fermenting as the yeast was fermenting on top and plenty of stuff on the bottom. After 7 days of no air bubbles, i thought I somehow i stuffed up.

I then realise that the new fermenter i bought has a really loose o ring seal. This seal came off when i was sterilising the fermenter before use and so I fermented a batch that hasn't really had an airlock for the past week. I had a taste of the batch and it didn't taste off, but the Brix value was at 1.020, much higher than the required 1.005 to 1.010 for bavarian wheat beer after a week.

Do you think I should chuck the batch or do you think it can still be saved? I am going to let it ferment for another week and if it tastes good and the value gets down to 1.010 do you think its a keeper?

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like it's fermenting to me. Don't rely on airlocks as gas can escape elsewhere such as a loose o-ring - use your hydrometer to test for fermentation.

Better still, save yourself future worry and use glad wrap instead of a lid and airlock.

sponge said:
Sounds like it's fermenting to me. Don't rely on airlocks as gas can escape elsewhere such as a loose o-ring - use your hydrometer to test for fermentation.

Better still, save yourself future worry and use glad wrap instead of a lid and airlock.
Cheers mate!

attached pic

open fermentation

open ferm.jpg

Let it go for another week or two. It will be ok.

sponge said:
gas can escape elsewhere such as a loose o-ring -
I have gas escaping at night, does that mean I have a loose o-ring?

indica86 said:
I have gas escaping at night, does that mean I have a loose o-ring?
I'd say so mate hahahaha.

So after 10 days of fermenting, the SG has reduced to 1.020 using a refractometer. This is quite high for a bavarian wheat beer that had its OG at 1.050.

Do you think the batch is ruined?

abmcdonald said:
So after 10 days of fermenting, the SG has reduced to 1.020 using a refractometer. This is quite high for a bavarian wheat beer that had its OG at 1.050.

Is that the actual refrac reading or have you converted it ?
If it's the actual reading then you are at 1.002

I wouldn't even worry about something like that. My airlock never bubbled once when I used it and no batch was even slightly affected. The the airlock grommet perished and I couldn't be arsed buying another one. Now, I still use the lid but just use a piece of tape over the old airlock hole. Still works perfectly fine and the beers are fine too.

abmcdonald said:

No. Turn the temperature up a degree or two, wait a few more days. Worst case scenario is it's done and won't ferment out when you have two choices - buy another lot of yeast or just bottle it, resigned to the fact it won't be the best tasting beer of all time. Unless it's off (taste it), I don't see any point ditching beer.

Yeah, pack it up and send it to me.
My airlock has not bubbled for years. I use cling wrap. That way I can see all the action.

WitWonder said:
No. Turn the temperature up a degree or two, wait a few more days. Worst case scenario is it's done and won't ferment out when you have two choices - buy another lot of yeast or just bottle it, resigned to the fact it won't be the best tasting beer of all time. Unless it's off (taste it), I don't see any point ditching beer.
Point is the refractometer readings are skewed by the alcohol content, so it's not actually sitting at 1020 at all, assuming it wasn't converted anyway. I don't know the conversion although someone mentioned 1002 as being the actual reading.

Back