Can I bottle Yet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
Ive not dry hopped before. I did a brew last sunday, pitched monday, added dry hops around wednesday, and it was nearly complete! - OG was 1.052, was down to about 1.012.

Its a hop hog clone sitting in 20 degree constant temp chamber, pitched with 1272.

Can I bottle if its at my desired FG? Or do I need to wait longer. Sorta keen to get it done as I have nothing better to do today and will not have much time this weekl.

Mate you'd be much better off giving it more time on the yeast. There is clean up which happens even after reaching final gravity. Most people would tend to leave the beer in primary at least 2 weeks - I usually do 2-4 weeks depending.

if you bottle before its finished you may get bottle bombs! it needs to have a constant FG reading over a three day. I just wait till its done then give it a week clean up very rarely do I take readings now I can usually judge by taste however I keg and use plastic bottles so less risk

Yeh true, I guess I'll leave it for another week. Thats my usual practice. Any benefit of cold crashing between now and then?

There are a few main issues in play here: 1. has your yeast finished doing its thing? and 2. how long should you dry hop for?

I won't cover point 1. Sounds like you're across the danger of bottle bombs.

When it comes to dry hopping I usually try to limit it to four days but have been known to let it slide to a week if I'm too busy, or too lazy.

Dry hopping for extended periods can result in a grassy tasting beer. On one occasion a left a lighter ale dry hopped for about four weeks and all I got on the palate was cut grass. Not a great beer.

Leaving you brew until next weekend should probably be ok. And if I'm honest I'd rather an ever-so-slightly grassy beer than bottle bombs if you're not sure if you've hit FG.

There's probably a more detailed and scientific answer to the question "how long should I dry hop for" somewhere on AHB.

thedragon said:
There are a few main issues in play here: 1. has your yeast finished doing its thing? and 2. how long should you dry hop for?

I won't cover point 1. Sounds like you're across the danger of bottle bombs.

When it comes to dry hopping I usually try to limit it to four days but have been known to let it slide to a week if I'm too busy, or too lazy.

Dry hopping for extended periods can result in a grassy tasting beer. On one occasion a left a lighter ale dry hopped for about four weeks and all I got on the palate was cut grass. Not a great beer.

Leaving you brew until next weekend should probably be ok. And if I'm honest I'd rather an ever-so-slightly grassy beer than bottle bombs if you're not sure if you've hit FG.

There's probably a more detailed and scientific answer to the question "how long should I dry hop for" somewhere on AHB.
Well I just took the FG - Anticipated was 1.010 and its come all the way down to 1.006 - Probably the healthiest fermentation I've had.

I tasted (nearly drank all) of the sample lol.

Decided to let my taste buds do the deciding and am going to cold crash for a few more days (or maybe til next weekend) before I bottle.

Sounds like it's going to be a great tasting beer. Enjoy!

Back