Calling All Flooded Font Owners...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with Normell.

They are very niosy.
ALso - the quoted 3/4" BSP Male Thread is not quite 3/4" Male BSP.

GMK said:
I have to agree with Normell.

They are very niosy.
ALso - the quoted 3/4" BSP Male Thread is not quite 3/4" Male BSP.
[post="129828"][/post]​

Probably " NPT. You'll often see the comment that BSP and NPT are the same - they ain't. TPI (threads per inch) are similar (not exact), but thread pitch is a different angle. In smaller sizes (1/8" and ") you can get the threads to mate, but as they get bigger th threads will bind. Also NPT is tapered, BSP is parallel (although there is also BSPT which is a tapered BSP thread).

Cheers
Peter

Hi everyone,

In response to the issues raised...

1. GST... There were two members with invoices that we incorrectly applied the discount voucher. They showed more than you actually paid. You mightn't have picked it. The Online shop pro-forma invoice, with discount voucher applied, has a bug in the GST field(being corrected). At least it showed the correct balance.

2. Pump noise... The thrashing of the paddles in this style of pump will always be a problem if it is within close earshot. If they are used externally in an inline setup the noise is removed. In a pond the whir is soaked up by the ground.

One of the quietest pumps on the market is the Hozelock Cascade series which uses a turbine impeller (from Cascade 2000 to Cascade 7000) http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/categories.asp?cID=2. The Cas 2000, 3000, & 4000 are available also in low voltage 24V AC, supplied with transformer.

You'll still get a tiny electrical hum but no thrashing sound. They are primarily meant to be used submerged but you can remove them from the cage and use them inline.

3. Outlet/Inlet Thread...The inlet and outlet "BSP thread" issue is of concern. The Chinese Engrish had thrown us on that, but luckily most of you are using them using the barbed fittings provided, with flexible hose, so it's not an issue.

The threads (for all the engineer members) actually now are;

Sensen HQB-2500
Inlet and Outlet: M27x2Fine(male), NOT 3/4"BSP(male).

Cheers
Phil Bartlett

normell said:
Phil_B said:
Hi everyone,

Just letting you know I've extended the voucher expiry date for the Sensen pumps which you can find here: http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au/categories.asp?cID=10
The voucher code is S-AHB - you can enter it at the checkout for 5% off the pump.
The 2500 and 3500 models seemed to be very popular with you guys!

Phil.
[post="129781"][/post]​
Maybe you should clear up the GST issue too. :angry:
Yes they are a good pump for flooded fonts, but a little noisy :blink:
[post="129790"][/post]​

my pump is niosy...very noisy.

I have used it in line both with the pump submerged in water for cooling/sound absorbtion and externally.

It is quieter in water.

But i would not recomend buy this pump again though, for the following reasons;
- wanted 3/4"BSP so that the Nylex Hose fittings will screw on easily. This was stated in the Blurb and it is not.
- it is just way to noisy....

As you can guessed - i am not too happy with it.

Phil_B said:
The threads (for all the engineer members) actually now are;

Sensen HQB-2500
Inlet and Outlet: M27x2Fine(male), NOT 3/4"BSP(male).

You don't need to be an engineer to realise if two threads don't mate :( , they're not the same.

This flooded font...what is it? Might you post a picture of 5 of one? It sounds like a great project...(ANOTHER one!!! says my wonderful and understanding wife.) :D

Ok, how fast is too fast. I hear that 500 l/h is adequate (refering to docs info) Is 1000 l/h) twice as good or not. Does pumping more water around transfer more cold which is good, or adversly turn your font into a giant heat sink (GMK Info) therefore turning your bucket on straight water into room temperature.

I am running 4 tap font 23 litres of water and a pump that is capible of knocking out 1400 l/h at 4 feet. Currently set a 1000 l/h. Should I be ok or should I slow it down?

I've got no idea about flooded fonts, but here is some food for thought.

In a car engine, if the coolant is cycled too quickly it does not have time to release heat and absorb heat where required and as this is a similar process (although reversed) to chilling a font I would suspect that perhaps, yes, there may very well be such a thing as too fast a glycol flow.

Again, this is just specualation on my part and sorry if this has already been mentioned...I haven't read the entire thread B)

PZ.

Ok, I installed a flow restrictor on the outlet side of the pump, ala March Pump. I found out this is magnet driven also. As soon as I did that the font felt colder than it has in a long time. Now to just sit back and watch her frost up.

I have been running my flooded font with water recently but found it freezers up every now and then. I tried some glycol and cant seem to get the right mixture, if there is too much glycol it dosen't get cold enough, if there is not enough glycol it freezes. I am using salt in water(3 handfulls to 5 litres) and this is working but i am worried about corrosion. IMy requirements are to get the water very cold thru the day and night and have the pump turn on at say 4.00pm to 7.00pm every day. Any ideas?????????????
Cheers 15BL :beer:

sorry to bring up an old post, but im just looking at some of the comments about noise...

like how noisey is sit? If it sits in a bucket of water inside a fridge would you be able to here the noise from the outside the fridge???

how are the results 2 years down the track? Are they still performing strong?

And what would people comment about regarding this pump? Link

I use an Eden 114 140 600litre/hour 11w Pond pump.
Variable output so you can choose how fast to pump.
Probably about 1.5 meters head in my system. Works great.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

Hows this pump ?
Is it still performing ok and wondering if you have any pics of how you set it up.

Cheers
Yard

What size are the fittings on the font?

I have a heap of old water cooling gear for PC's, I could probably get something together for you (pump tubing and resevoir) if it was 3/8 or 1/2 inch tubing.

What size are the fittings on the font?

I have a heap of old water cooling gear for PC's, I could probably get something together for you (pump tubing and resevoir) if it was 3/8 or 1/2 inch tubing.

yeah it is a half inch, not really thick at all... be great if we could sort something out

but still the pump idea is in question... opinions anyone?

That reservoir probably wouldnt cut it. I use a 12L reservoir for my font and the cooling doesnt really last all that long. I want something >20L to sit on the hump of my chest freezer - mayber even have a small freezer full of glycol at -2C would be even better.

Making the resevoir would be easy enough with a few dollars at Bunnings and a few minutes you could make it as large or small as you wanted. You could even use a spare keg if you were so inclined.

thanks, not looking for the resevior, looking for something around 6-8L or so but the tubing is something i need to get....

Does this pump run quiter than the other one. I noticed its a little less head, would that matter at all?

Cheers

Hi All
Has anyone had luck freezing their font??
If so how did you plumb the freezer section ?
What amount of glycol and at what water/glycol ratios worked the best??
reservoir + radiator?
What about flow rate and line diameter?
Did you find a quiet pump to do the job?
I am using a fridge freezer and have dedicated the freezer to glycol cooling with a digital controller installed so far. About half way there but would rather avoid the many pitfalls
Thanks
:party:

Latest posts

Back