Calibrating Ph Meters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julez

Reaction score
Hi all,

after searching for aaaaages on the internet, I finally found one place that sells buffer solution, but the quantities are quite large (and quite expensive). Does anyone know where I can source pH 6.86 and pH 4.01 or 9.18 buffer solutions, or offer an idiot's guide to making my own?

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Craftbrewer stocks a pH 4.0 solution and maybe send Ross an email about finding the others in small amounts.

I find wine supply stores are good for these things.

You could try science suppliers such as crown, biolab, merck. I am unsure how they supply direct to the public, but i buy them for work, about $10-20 for 500ml. You can make it, but by the time you buy the chemicals and muck around drying them, its probably easier and more accurate to buy ready made. I know most places that calibrate pH meters buy theirs. Possibly pool shops may sell them too, they sometimes sell pH meters/equipment.

:p
Gooday All

Hydroponic shops are a good source for buffer solutions in small amounts.

Cheers Altstart

Julez,

Dump the pH meter and buy some strips. Reliable, food grade, easy and no need to calibrate.

cheers

Darren

Jaycar had the 7Ph Buffer solution but the store I visted didn't have the 4Ph solution.

Jaycar had the 7Ph Buffer solution but the store I visted didn't have the 4Ph solution.

hi, try search on the ebay site www.ebay.com.au and you can purchase through the mail.

cheers, alan

Thanks everyone, for all the replies. Bizarre that so many places selling the pH meters DON'T also sell the solutions.... :huh:

Cheers, think I'm sorted now!

Julez,

Dont worry about the 4. Its not going to make one iotta of difference unless you are at commercial stage. At Hb level, once you have measured pH you probably dont need to do it again. This ain't rocket science.

cheers

Darren

Julez,

Dump the pH meter and buy some strips. Reliable, food grade, easy and no need to calibrate.

cheers

Darren

:icon_offtopic:

I disagree Darren. I used strips in the past and they were hopeless - 0.3 resolution was the best I could find which wasn't good enough for my needs. I've since bought a meter and I am really happy with the results. I can now tell the difference in the wort pH when I add acid or salt additions, before I couldn't.

Back