Burton Ale - what's with all the flaked corn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello brewers,

So the other day, I decided to put a list of 10 interesting styles together that I will brew throughout this year. (i'd do more but only have one ferm chamber.. hahah).

First cab off the rank is a Burton Ale, which I've never brewed before.
So from my research this old style is supposed to be kinda like a malty, high ABV pale ale or IPA... almost a black IPA but not so dark perhaps... and using english malts and hops of course.

But looking around the interwebs, I see quite a few recipes that incorporate flaked corn.. ? Now i've never used flaked corn in any beer but from my understanding this makes a beer LESS malty.. so why would you add this to a Burton Ale?

Any ideas on this? Have you brewed a Burton Ale? What is the purpose of the flaked corn in a Burton Ale recipe? Do I need it?

Many thanks in advance.
Mike

BJCP style guide excerpt.
Flavor: Similar to the aroma, the malt is initially noted with a rich character and a somewhat sweet finish. The bitterness level is medium-high to high and helps balance the strong malt flavor. The malt flavors have a bready and biscuity character with substantial deep toast or dark caramel flavors; overly roasted and burnt flavors are inappropriate. Hop flavor can be medium to low, with a fruity, floral, spicy, or woody English quality. Dark or dried fruit flavors (plum, prune, fig, or raisin) are often present at up to a moderate level. A light alcohol flavor might be detected, but the sweetness in the finish usually masks it. The sweetness should be balanced by hops and never be cloying or clashing.

I have brewed Burton ale, no there wasn't any flaked corn. But it is not surprising to come across flaked maize in quite a few English ale recipes. Burton ale is malty and quite honestly quite delicious, not to strong, just under 5% ABV. I am sure that I have read somewhere that it has been released again and had good reviews, could have been from the Bass Museum.

Thanks Reg.

It seems from my research that many of the historical accounts of Burton Ale are in the realm of 6,7..8% whereas some of the current commercial examples are more standard.
I'm somewhat obsessed with big beers so i'm going for around 6.5-7% - which then also lends itself to being maltier.

I think I'll leave out the corn as you did. It doesn't seem to make sense to me in such a beer although I don't fully understand the purpose of using it. Seems basically like it is equivalent to adding brewing sugar perhaps?

Back