Burping And Pressurising A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boagesmalone

Reaction score
Can anyone provide some advice as to correct way to burp a keg prior to refrigerating? I have always understood that a new batch will not absorb gas in a warm keg until it has been refrigerated for at least a 4-6 hours or depending on the fridge temperature.

I have listened to blokes tell me that you can gas a keg ready for pouring in less then 8 hours by adding a large quantity of gas very quickly, then disconnect the gas line and roll the keg around, turn them upside down etc etc. Then reconnect the gas and leave at high pressure for 8 hours.

I have never seen this done nor has anyone been able to demonstrate to me how this is done particularly when I have asked them to.

The system I use works just fine and pours a great head. A lot of mates say the beer tastes and looks perfect, so I just assumed I was doing every thing right. I experimented with the gas a few years ago, gassing between 24 hours and 3 days, and 36 hours seems to work for me.

I prefer a very gassy beer more then most, and I usually make up a lager, pilsner or pale ale.

I use CO2 and leave for 36 hours starting from fridge temperature or (48 hours if starting from a warm keg) @ 40psi or 280kpa. Is this wasting gas and time? And is there a faster system? And one final question, does anyone use beer gas in preference to CO2?

Does anyone have a system that they would like to share?

Cheers
Boagemalone

Thanks jimmysuperlative.... A perfect response and just what I was looking for!!!

I put two kegs in the fridge earlier tonight, so I will give them both the Ross method first thing in the morning... now I wont sleep tonight.

Cheers
Boagesmalone

...welcome, but thank Ross ...

I was using the 36 hr method too ...until I lost a cylinder of co2 :(

Back