Bunnings For Ag Related Gear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintmo

Reaction score
Hey all slowly taking the plunge into all grain by gathering some equipment. I was wondering where people got most of their parts for their AG brewery from:

I'm after some stuff not sure if bunnings is the best place to get it or if they stock it at all:

I need to make 2 pickup tubes (HLT and Brewpot). On the inside i have a 1/2" BSP (threaded outside) shank. Looking at making pickup tubes out of copper is bunnings a good place to get the fittings/copper. May need 2 copper elbows etc and a way of attaching the tube to the shank

Also looking at getting the stainless steel braid for mash tun (esky)
[i think i will get a keg in future with false bottom]

Other than that i need a gas refill and another 9kg gas tank

Also considering a higher pressure gas reg to power a 3 ring burner

Bunnings the place to go?, i hate walking round that place for hours...

<3 clint

EDIT: Fittings sizes

Have a look here, some suggestions on QLD hardware stores.

I need to make 2 pickup tubes (HLT and Brewpot). On the inside i have a 1.5' (threaded outside) shank. Looking at making pickup tubes out of copper is bunnings a good place to get the fittings/copper.

Bunnings is ok for small things like that, ask them to cut 2 lengths of copper for pickup tube to require size and attach them to your shank with brass compression fitting, thats what I did, cost a couple $..
May need 2 copper elbows etc and a way of attaching the tube to the shank

Just use compression fittings..
Also looking at getting the stainless steel braid for mash tun (esky)
They have them to in varying lengths and fairly cheap, I bought 1 with fittings on both ends, cut 1 end off to get hose out and just screwed the other end onto my piece of all-thread, no need for clamps then..

Other than that i need a gas refill and another 9kg gas tank

2 x 9kg tanks are good, or 1 x 9kg and a smaller one as backup in case you run out, 9kg ones are pretty cheap these days...

Also considering a higher pressure gas reg to power a 3 ring burner

Not sure that HP Regs are suitable for 3 ring burners, I have/had a 2 ring burner with LP BBQ Reg and it boiled single batches quite easily and quickly..

sweet that answered basically everything i wanted, so they do supply short lengths of copper and will cut, this is perfect.

Also looking at yeast ranching (not in the immediate future but still) anyone know any good suppliers (online pref) where i can get some test tubes glass with stoppers, innoculation loop etc

sweet that answered basically everything i wanted, so they do supply short lengths of copper and will cut, this is perfect.

Also looking at yeast ranching (not in the immediate future but still) anyone know any good suppliers (online pref) where i can get some test tubes glass with stoppers, innoculation loop etc

Test tubes.. I few of the guys have used this company, seem fairly cheap and have elenmeyer flasks aswell..

Prob best to start stepping up some Wyeast first and splitting between Stubbies and building Starters from there..

The supplier mentioned above for the yeast farming gear is very good, many here have bought through them.

I run an adjustable medium pressure reg from beerbelly (bright red one) with my ring burner and it works a charm.

If not try craftbrewers seeing your a brisbanite. They have pretty much anything and everything a brewer could want or need IMO.

As for AG bits:
As per Thunders post PHD or Tradelink for plumbing bits. They are literally half the price on bunyips.
Check Fowles Auctions every so often they sell up commercial kitchens from time to time.
Chandler, Rocklea and Beenleigh Markets on every sunday. You have sift thru a fair amount of shit but I picked up a 110 lt SS boiler for $40. Ok the guy used to wash out is outboard motor but other than that it will clean up fine.
Underwood Demolitions also have lots of bits and pieces that come in use.

Here's a picture of said boiler/hlt/mash tun...

gallery_9761_435_13553.jpg

Bunnings is shit!

The local one here is HUGE..... and all their plumbing fittings are poor quality and they only cary inbetween sizes so you have to buy reducers ect to get where you want to go.

I went to my local plumbing supply wholesailer........... half the price, top quality parts and if you buy heaps and ask for trade price..... sometimes they hely you out with price.

Bunnings is great if you want a one stop shop for some paint, a box of nails, some potting mix and lightbulbs but your better off going to a wholsailer for the gear you need!

I priced up my brew rig plumbing roughly from bunnings and i was up for $400 to $500. Cost me $200 at Plumbing wholesailer and they had 10 times more mange of parts.

Repeat...... bunnings sux!

Tony, good point, i will look at going to a plumbing place, i know places like reece and tradelink nearby maybe i should look there for my plumbing needs, but i still need some gas stuff so maybe i will do some pricing there for curiosity sake. Thanks

Bunnings is shit!
Agree, alright for small stuff when the others are shut..

and all their plumbing fittings are poor quality and they only cary inbetween sizes so you have to buy reducers ect to get where you want to go.
Agree also, had what I needed for my pick-up tube etc though, very poor range though..

I went to my local plumbing supply wholesailer........... half the price, top quality parts and if you buy heaps and ask for trade price..... sometimes they hely you out with price.
I priced up my brew rig plumbing roughly from bunnings and i was up for $400 to $500. Cost me $200 at Plumbing wholesailer and they had 10 times more mange of parts.
If and/or when I go to spend quite a few dollars on my Brewery set-up, I will be going straight to the plumbing supply business, plumbing is their business so they got to be cheaper..

Repeat...... bunnings sux!
Agree..

Do I have double standards?? :ph34r:

I used Bunnings for my couple things on my Keggle and Mash tun, but there other places cheaper, I even got my Ball Valves for half the price of Bunnings at Mitre 10..

Hardware stores are licenced to print money and like covenience stores should be treated as such. As said Tradelink are the way to go and unless you are are a plumber and have an account Reece put the boot in and best steered clear of.
Tradelink do a cut length service on copper tubing as well as polypipe. If you are looking for tubing by the coil Polyaire are hard to beat.

Back