Bunnings Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a bunnings fermenter and I haven't ever marked the side with litre markings.

It's currently got a batch in it so I can't mark it until it's finished (a few days) but would like to know the size of the current batch. If anyone has markings on the side of theirs can they please take a photo so I can estimate? Cheers.

Hello all, I have a bunnings fermenter and I haven't ever marked the side with litre markings.

It's currently got a batch in it so I can't mark it until it's finished (a few days) but would like to know the size of the current batch. If anyone has markings on the side of theirs can they please take a photo so I can estimate? Cheers.

Or just measure diameter, height and Volume, V = pi * r^2 * H

Or buy another one and measure that... (we always need a spare one!) ;)

If you know the diameter of the container then try this:

(pye x radius squared x height)/ 1000

where height is the height of the liquid from the bottom measured in centimeters, The radius is the diameter/2 measured in centimeters

Himzo.

Bugger took too long :D

didn't know they sell fermenters. How much $ and anyone know which stores in WA have them ? Maybe the larger warehouses?

Is it a square or cylindrical fermenter?

It's the cylindrical one.

It rounds off a bit so I dunno if I can work out using formulas. Suppose I could give it a go haha.

foles they're meant to be used as water coolers probably, but they're heaps like the standard coopers one but I think only 25L and they don't have a hole for the airlock, I just use glad wrap anyway.

They are cylindrical and sold as water containers.

I can fit two of these in my fermenting fridge, where as I can only get one "standard" fermenter in there...double the brew, half the time...nice!!

I forget the price on these but they are great value...even if the my taps in both tend to free-wheel around in the tap hole - no leaks though...yet.

cliffo

weight it drum will be approx 1kg so if its 26kg there is about 25L

i use this method now to exactly measure teh ammounts of grog left in each keg

AFAIK, the Bunnings fermenters are amost the same as the ones they provide with a Tooheys kit. The 23L mark should come to around the bottom of the handle indentations.

- boingk

weight it drum will be approx 1kg so if its 26kg there is about 25L

i use this method now to exactly measure teh ammounts of grog left in each keg

Who's fat?

Seriously, Bathroom Scales is a good idea! At least if you are skinny, the springs wont be stretched and it's a pretty accurate method! Just remember to remove the air lock before humping a full fermenter around the place.

About $15. Excellent for secondary fermentors as you dont need too much headspace.

Cheers
Andrew.

i was at a canberra bunnings yesterday, they had white pales 25ltr with lid for $18 i think it was, i fermenter style 25ltr container with markings for $36 or was it $46,i think it was $46 i cant remember. i bought a 20ltr jerry can style for a cube so i can get 4 side by side in my fridge, which was $35. i was expecting them to be cheaper but oh well.

Can confirm that the bunnings "25" litre containers are good value for a secondary, used mine a couple of times now. Plastic is a little thinner than your standard fermenter but as a secondary it is fine. As already stated, just needs an airlock fitted to the lid if you don't wanna crack the lid and release the pressure every now and then ;) .....bit "cheaper feel" to them, but pretty good value when you only pay around $14 (plus $3 for a tap) for a good flat based secondary (don't like the cubes with the raised centre part in the base)!!
If I could justify the expense I would get the jerry can style containers from somewhere like Big W, purely for stacking space in my beer fridge, but never come across them cheap enough.

Anyway, go the bunnings ones, they do the job fine.

PM me with your mobile number if you still want a pic. I cannot add photos at the moment so i can picture message you instead.

The Bunnings fermenters are all I use these days. Very cheap at $20 including the tap. They also have a smaller opening at the top which fits standard glad wrap perfectly. I chuck the lid out and use the rubber band to hold the glad wrap in place. As for volume, the top of the handles is 23L (know this from my K&K days). I never mark mine though, don't care much how much beer I have as long as I hit target gravity, or so...

Here ya go.

The 20L mark is 45mm from just below the upper rib.

IMGP3985.JPG

Awesome cheers mate, looks like I would have been about 20L which is what I was hoping for.

didn't know they sell fermenters. How much $ and anyone know which stores in WA have them ? Maybe the larger warehouses?

I got mine down my way but I have seen them in the Midland store. $16 for drum, $1.40 for tap

I measured mine out from my other fermenter and 23L is at the bottom of the handles, subsequent levels are 1L every 14mm

Back