Bundy Rum & Cola On Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boagesmalone

Reaction score
We tried this for the first time a few weeks ago using Bundaberg Rum and very cheap Cola, and we were pleasantly surprised with the results. We werent sure how the Rum and the Cola both mixed together would react with the CO2. Most of my mates said it wouldnt be successful because it wont hold the gas, and others said they werent sure.... So we decided to give it a go.

Unfortunately we werent able to give it the test of time, as the 18ltr keg only lasted us less than two weeks, but it seemed to improve in flavour and fizz every day. In order to maintain the fizz we had to pre-gas for 24hrs at around 40psi before drinking and then drop it down to 5psi for pouring. Worked perfectly and it even poured a nice head which sat there in the glass for a few minutes.

The whole exercise was a bit pricey and too dangerous on the hip pocket to maintain a regular supply as its very easily consumed. So it wont be happing that often, unless I can come up with a cheaper substitute similar to Bundy Rum.

The mix we used for an 18ltr keg is as follows;

* 7 X 2ltr bottles of very cheap Cola = $ 7.70
* 3 X 700mls bottles of Bundy Rum (UP) = $ 75.00

Has anyone else given this ago with rum or any other retail spirit? I would be interested to know.

Back