Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marky_mark

Reaction score
Hey just a follow up question after reading a bunch of stuff about bulk priming... is there any difference between dextrose and glucose in Australia....

Secondly, many ppl mention using 180 - 200g of dextrose for bulk priming while some suggest 100 - 150g of glucose... both are for a normally carbonated lager... i am a little at ends about which to go with... assuming glucose and dextrose are the same... my dilemma comes because i have an awesoe full extract czech pilsner that is almost finnished lagering and nearly ready for bottling. I have recently had issues with carbonation of my beers and i am trying to narrow the problem... but i really would like to get a general concensus on this to simplify things...

Many thanks guys,

Mark

Dextrose and glucose are the same thing. The name dextrose is shorthand for dextrorotatory glucose, which means the dextrose molecule rotates plane-polarised light clockwise, which is all very exciting for the home brewer to know.

I base my priming rates on grams per litre, as my batch size is not always the same. 7 grams per litre tends to produce a normal priming rate in my experience. Also remember that the temperature of the beer can affect the amount of CO2 already in solution, colder beer holds more C02. When bottling my beer is normally at aroudn 20C, if you're bottling a beer that's been lagering it may be colder than that and may consequently need less priming sugar to achieve good carbonation.

Kai said:
...... if you're bottling a beer that's been lagering it may be colder than that and may consequently need less priming sugar to achieve good carbonation.
[post="104150"][/post]​

Or let it come to room temperature first. I've never had a lot of success using those temperature adjustment scales for priming cold beer. Easier & more reliable to do it at 20oC.

As above, I remove from the ferm fridge and leave to reach room/ambient temp then calculate sugar. Can't say I have noticed any dif between either sugar. Amount depends on how low supplies are. If I need beer quick or if its planned to be a quaffer then I up the carb rate because it will all be gone in 4 weeks. If its a special/keeper then I lower the carb rate, have to wait longer to start drinking but you can keep bottles for 6 - 12 months without them being over carbed.

Back