Bulk Priming Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on bottling my first AG pale ale some time this weekend. In the past I've used Coopers carbonation drops for priming however I find that they tend to overcarbonate. For the pale ale I'd like to try bulk priming.

Firstly, I'd prefer it if the priming sugar didn't affect the taste of the beer - what's the best sugar to use - dextrose?

Secondly, I found the bulk priming article (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=68). It mentions an attached table but I couldn't see it - where is it?

Cheers,

Chris

First couple of brews I did I used carb drops/sucrose, then promptly switched to dextrose, which was an improvement!
Also tried Light DME for an IPA which turned out nice, but you have to adjust the amount to suit. Lots of calculators include it so it's up to you.
:icon_cheers:

I used to use dextrose everytime, till I ran out and used sucrose one batch and noticed no difference in flavour. Carbonated much quicker as well.

I used raw sugar for the first time in my last brew.

To see when it was primed I squashed a PET bottle to expel all the air, then when it has fully expanded again the CO2 is happening. It took 3 days at ambient (about 18C).

I always use this to calculate as it allows me to adjust to my taste as much as to style. (I like ~2.1 vols CO2)

I can see bulk priming is the go, but Im bottling my first ever brew in the next couple of days and will be doing the individual priming. Ive done away with the carb drops and will use dextrose, i need about 5g each bottle, anyone have an easy measure for this? A heaped teaspoon? Its a real simple problem I know but would be great to get someones opinion

cheers

You can buy a tool from most HB shops/K mart that you can use.

i use the measure from KMart/Big W there brigalow..small for stubbies,large for King browns,and i use white sugar

Yep, I use a scoop from Big W, it has a scoop for longnecks and a scoop for stubbies. Haven't had any of my beer to drink yet but it seems to be the go. Big W has a fantastic range of stuff for the home brewer!!!

You can buy a tool from most HB shops/K mart that you can use.

Thanks. In the end i put a rough teaspoon of dextrose in each one once I had fashioned a funnel out of some junk mail... the need to bottle was too strong to wait!

G'day Brewers,

I have been reading the following discussion topicAHB Articles: Basics of Bulk Priming

I am a bit confused about making the bulk priming syrup with the dex. Should I add 1.5mL of water per 1g of dex or should it be beer from the fermenter? Seems like a silly question I know, but its not clear to a newbie brewer like myself. :unsure:

I look forward to your prompt responses!

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

G'day Brewers,

I have been reading the following discussion topicAHB Articles: Basics of Bulk Priming

I am a bit confused about making the bulk priming syrup with the dex. Should I add 1.5mL of water per 1g of dex or should it be beer from the fermenter? Seems like a silly question I know, but its not clear to a newbie brewer like myself. :unsure:

I look forward to your prompt responses!

Damo

Add water to dextrose, boil and allow to cool with aluminium foil covering your pot so nasties don't get in. Add to fermenter. Not sure why the article mentions g/L - all you want to do is add the minimum amount of water you can to dissolve the dextrose.

G'day Brewers,

Thanks for the rapid response Wit, much appreciated :icon_cheers:

Will possibly give the bulk priming a go when I have a bunch of mixed sized bottles, maybe even when I brew the Canadian.

Damo

Something around 200ml of water will do to dissolve the dex/sugar.

The one thing that puts me off bulk priming is having to rack it to a secondary, does anyone get away with it in the primary??

G'day Brewers,

I have the same question as BDB; can we bulk prime in the primary fermenting tank? Or must we rack it? Just trying to cut out a step that might add to the risk of infection.

Cheers and happing brewing,
Damo

Of course you can do it, I'm sure lots of people do but it means that when gently mixing the priming solution in you are causing currents throughout the fermenter that will ultimately have an effect on the trub. You may need to wait a bit longer for that stuff to settle down before bottling.

Personally I think the whole "chance of infection" thing is undoubtedly something to take VERY seriously, but it is a highly controllable risk. I rack all my beers to secondary and the vast majority then get conditioned and then racked into a 3rd fermenter at bottling time (the one with the priming solution in it). This may not be best practice but it is what I like to do. It certainly leaves behind a lot of trub/stuff, and what it doesn't get rid of is ultimately much further away from the tap than it would have been had I just done it from primary. Is it necassary? No. Are my beers any better for the effort I go to? Maybe not, but I like to do it anyway (in reality I now leave behind a lot more debris than I otherwise was so I think the answer is "yes").

Still, as it always makes me laugh on this site, there is no objective right or wrong, just what works for you. After all, we are just trying to make some tasty beer...

Now, just being too lazy to go to the effort to minimise the risk is another thing altogther haha... :icon_cheers:

If you were to add it to the primary you would need to make sure you mixed it through the beer so it is evenly dispersed through. This would require you to stir it with a sanitised spoon. This could lead to some introduction of oxygen into the beer causing oxygenation later on, introduction of airborne bacteria and also it could stir up the yeast cake and trub that has settled out to the bottom of the fermenter and cause some very hazy beer to get into the bottles.

If it makes you feel any better the founder of Wyeast doesn't bulk prime - he bottles straight from the primary with carbonation drops or something similar to minimise the amount the beer is handled to reduce oxygenation and potential spoilage.

Edit: beaten by lecterfan

G'day Brewers,

Thanks for the rapid responses Kieren and Lecterfan. One final question, where can I find further info at AHB on racking, as it is a bit off-topic of bulk priming (or not depending on who you ask :p )?

Cheers and happing brewing,
Damo

Back