Building A Stock Of Specialty Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a heads up for those that don't know, baby formula tins hold 1kg of (uncracked) specialty grains perfectly.

Just a heads up for those that don't know, baby formula tins hold 1kg of (uncracked) specialty grains perfectly.

Finally, a perfect reason to convince the wife that we really, really, really need another toddler in the house. Oh yeah, that and the plasma baby bonus :)

OK

Promash tells me with 1.7kg of goop and 1.8kg of DLME you get in 23 liters 1.046 and 10 EBC.

with 130g crystal (3.6%) you get 1.047 and 14 EBC.

with 200g crystal (5.4%) you get 1.048 and 16 EBC.

Cracked grain will stale faster than uncracked.

2 options.

1. Cracked....Keep it sealed with minimal air in a cool dark place. Those plastic zip bags work well.
2. buy a grain mill.... a decent one, as WHEN you go AG you will not regret the purchase. save your pennies and get the best mill you can get.

I used pre cracked grain for a while befopre i built the mill and it keeps for 6 months if stored properly. just think of a slice of bread. Wrap one in a sealed bag with minimal air and leave one on the bench top. Which one will last longer?

as far as steeping goes...... i used to multiply the amount of grain by 4 and make that ml's

Eg your steeping 200g of crystal.

Heat 800mls or water to about 60 or 70 deg. Put the grain in and remove from heat. Let it sit for an hour and give a stir every 15.

Strain liquid off grain and boil for 15 min to steralise. cool and add with your top up water to the kit in the fermenter.

bobs your uncle

cheers

Thanks for doing the calcs Tony. I checked out your grain mill via the link raven posted. It's already got me scratching my head about where I could scrounge some possible rollers or something than can be fashioned into rollers .....

mate i built that when there was nothing freely available other than a marga mill. I had a marga mill and hated it. Too small and slow to crack 12 kg of grain.

Sold it to ross in the end.

Hey i just realised something......... i SOLD something to ROSS!!!!!!!!! Thats gold! :lol:

anyway..... i built that. I scored the SS bar from and old roller out of a filter press. The bar was worn and slightly bent so i cut it up and turned it down to rollers for the mill.

these days you cant go past one ofthe many great and cheap mills on the market.

cheers

Back