Building A Pizza Oven

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregs

Kevs nude brewing bothers me!
Reaction score
This is the new extension of our out door area, it will be a wood fired oven with a 1 metre hearth built from refractory cement. This prodject will take some time as the refractory product has an 8 week lead time and I have other prodjects to complete. Slow and steady wins the race.

Pizza_Oven_007.jpg

Pizza_Oven_003.jpg

Should be great.
Can you put a pizza menu up, or is it to early?

stagga.

I once heard that the floors on these sort of ovens should have a slight slope on them because it makes the hot air circulate on it's own without any sort of fan.

Excellent! So you're going to pour the hearth as a single slab? Mine is brick but I am interested in using refractory when I build my next ;)

Tim: The hearth in this build will be poured on it's own after the pour that you see framed up in the pics. The initial pour you can see framed up is the stractural slab and front shelving, the hearth will then be poured on top of the stractual slab with 50 ml vermiculite and cement mix between the stractual slab and the hearth. Hope that makes sense.

So, a bundy case swap is in the wind then?
Often mentioned and now there is a venue. :p

Winkle; When this job is finnished I would be glad to host a Bundy case swap if theres any othere brewers interested.

I'd best pull my finger out and get cracking, although there is an 8 week lead on the refractory cement.

Below is a link to a site in Perth - actually Fremantle - I have met the bloke Tom and had a look at his ovens, I have also cooked in one and it was terrific. I am seriously thinking about getting one as I am moving to a new house in a couple of months and a wood fired oven out the back would be brilliant - got to do paving and pergola first - actually got to get a job first....

Anyway check this site out and also have a look at the guides to building the DIY oven including the base which sounds and looks pretty good. It seems he has outlets in other parts of the country. If youre ever in Freo go and say gidday to him he is a bit of a character.

http://www.woodywoodfiredovens.com.au/

I am thinking the way they do their base using patio tubing is alot more straight forward than the way you are doing it Gregs??? But would you still need to pour a slab for the base to sit on??

Below is a link to a site in Perth - actually Fremantle - I have met the bloke Tom and had a look at his ovens, I have also cooked in one and it was terrific. I am seriously thinking about getting one as I am moving to a new house in a couple of months and a wood fired oven out the back would be brilliant - got to do paving and pergola first - actually got to get a job first....

Anyway check this site out and also have a look at the guides to building the DIY oven including the base which sounds and looks pretty good. It seems he has outlets in other parts of the country. If youre ever in Freo go and say gidday to him he is a bit of a character.

http://www.woodywoodfiredovens.com.au/

I am thinking the way they do their base using patio tubing is alot more straight forward than the way you are doing it Gregs??? But would you still need to pour a slab for the base to sit on??
Mercs : thanks for the link, there is a concrete slab for the bace to sit on, it's difficult to see in the pic becaues of form work ect and it's also recessed so when insulation and oven base go into position it will sit flush with the shelf in the oridginal pour (you can see in the first pics). I'll post some more pics of the oven at the stage with the form work removed and some explinations as to why I went with this type of built ect.Cheers

Tim: The hearth in this build will be poured on it's own after the pour that you see framed up in the pics. The initial pour you can see framed up is the stractural slab and front shelving, the hearth will then be poured on top of the stractual slab with 50 ml vermiculite and cement mix between the stractual slab and the hearth. Hope that makes sense.

Sure does, only thing I'd consider would be go up to 80 or 100 mm for your vermiculite insulation slab. Don't want all that lovely heat to get sucked out into the base!

BTW if anyone wants to see how I did mine too, I put up a page about it here: pizza oven building Still in progress tho

Count me in too. On old baker and pizza maker from way back here. Sold the outdoor oven with the last place. Intend building one here at the new address, have Russell Jeavons book "Your Brick Oven, Building It and Baking In It". Visited his place in SA years ago, very interested to watch this project.

Cheers,

Screwy

Back