Build Your Hlt Thermostat Cheap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
ok fellow hbrs

i have been tiding out the old workshop and came across an interesting artical in a silcon chip mag under the title SALVAGE IT.
and the artical is about the common household electric thermostats .

i am sure with some of us budding electronics dabblers out there this would be a good artical to read as it shows you how to mod these babies and also gives you technical data and temp variations so have a look .
i wll try to scan the artical and post it as an attactchment "opps copy right"
pizzst!!! but here is the mag info(SILICONCHIP JULY 2005).

DELBOY :super:

SALAGE_1.jpg

Delboy,

Top find. That info could be used with these (new) thermostats from Oatley Electronics:

ZC0608 (NEW) IMMERSION THERMOSTAT: Controlli, model YTC3. Brand new in original packaging. Temperature range: 10 to 90C. SPDT. Dimensions: 54 (W) x 157 (H) x 85 (D) mm. Weight: 0.3kg. (50 only) $15

It would make a good cheap HLT controller.... now to find a cheap timer.... anyone?

I had a look at the SC web site, only the start of the article is available online. If anyone wants a copy, they should be able to get it from the local library.

SC also had some other interesting articles in the same colums (but differrent months) including one which used washing machine components to detect water levels - that could be useful for all you RIMS/HERMS designers.....

Cheers Crozdog

delboy said:
ok fellow hbrs

i have been tiding out the old workshop and came across an interesting artical in a silcon chip mag under the title SALVAGE IT.
and the artical is about the common household electric thermostats .

i am sure with some of us budding electronics dabblers out there this would be a good artical to read as it shows you how to mod these babies and also gives you technical data and temp variations so have a look .
i wll try to scan the artical and post it as an attactchment "opps copy right"
pizzst!!! but here is the mag info(SILICONCHIP JULY 2005).

DELBOY :super:
[post="117977"][/post]​

I've purchased the Controlli YC3 and installed in my HLT. It's switching a bent up element that i pilfered from a curbside collected dishwasher :super: I have tested it and it seems to work great. I am hoping to do my first AGB in the next 2 weeks.
My only concern was the thermostat probe appears to be assembled using lead based solder but I have coated with food grade silicon to hopefully eliminate contamination :blink:
Oatley are great ! I love the stuff they salvage on their website from thermostats to ex Sydney olympics shirts for kids :D
Cheers
Doug

well i hope i have done it this time we used picasa2

ok the site wont let me do it so if you want a copy pm me now yhats easier

Delboy

Doogiechap said:
Snip/ I am hoping to do my first AGB in the next 2 weeks. Snip/
[post="118068"][/post]​

I do an AGB most days! :p

Latest posts

Back