Buhner's book - reliable or not?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
I'm interested in what other brewers who have read Stephen Harrod Buhner's book "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" think of it. Reliable? Or No?

I've just finished reading it recently. The book's a bit of a classic in brewing circles I know; it's got plenty of interesting ideas about herbal beers and useful information about traditional brewing techniques. But the research often seems more than a little dodgy.

Anyway, short review here:
http://willtypeforfood.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/booze-reviews.html

Be interested in seeing what other brewers think, either here or at my blog.

Herbal? Probably.

Sacred? If you say so.

Healing? Nope, lost me.

If you are into it, I think the title of a good book is:

Beer: Quality, Safety and Nutritional Aspects

I am going from memory, but if is correct, it is a very informative book on beer as a food source in a global context.

manticle said:
I want to learn about beer safety.
Easy, beer safety is all about ensuring none gets spilled!

From the review, "...but Buhner is a naturopath..." should be a good indicator that this book is a waste of time and money!

manticle said:
I want to learn about beer safety.
I haven't read the whole book, but I found it really interesting. For example, I was unaware how many people utiliser beer as a primary daily source of nutrition in Africa.

So, I was kind of inclined to be cynical on finding out about Buhner's background in natural healing too. But it takes all sorts to make a world, etc. I've seen some brewers on this site and elsewhere refer to the book quite regularly, and it is pretty useful in some respects. Who knew that you could make a wild lettuce beer? Who knew that wild lettuce was even a *thing*, much less get a substance from its sap known as lactucarium that was used in 19th century medicinal practices and as a beer flavouring? Likewise reading about traditional brews such as 'heather mead' or 'heather ale', or 'yarrow ale', makes me get all misty-eyed and nostalgic about drinks that I have never tasted. He writes extensively about the properties of the plants too so you don't just get a few recipes for each plant, but you also get a list of other foods they were used in and get a sense of how they were viewed in folk medicine. One interesting thing that he talks about at length: while hops are sedatives and make people sleepy, many of the other traditional flavourings in beer, (for instance, heather), tended to intoxicate and make people more active. So for these reasons and more I find the book quite interesting; it's a pity the opening chapters (which seem to me to be a bit daffy) detract from the many recipes that follow.

If there's any one book that's had an influence on brewers I'd guess it'd be Charlie Papaizon's 'Complete Joy of Homebrewing', which I haven't read, but from what I can guess makes the whole process seem very controlled and scientific. A lot of brewers will talk happily at length about the enzymes in malts and the acid level in hops, controlling the temperature during the mash, etc etc etc. To me that process just doesn't work - apart from anything else, the idea of sterility in our kitchen and house is just laughable. So I find the approach of folks like Buhner (or Sandor Elix Katz) quite attractive; they're interested in fermentation, are quite knowledgeable about some aspects of it, but just don't give a shit about controlling the process beyond a certain level. I like that.

TimT said:
If there's any one book that's had an influence on brewers I'd guess it'd be Charlie Papaizon's 'Complete Joy of Homebrewing', which I haven't read, but from what I can guess makes the whole process seem very controlled and scientific. A lot of brewers will talk happily at length about the enzymes in malts and the acid level in hops, controlling the temperature during the mash, etc etc etc. To me that process just doesn't work - apart from anything else, the idea of sterility in our kitchen and house is just laughable. So I find the approach of folks like Buhner (or Sandor Elix Katz) quite attractive; they're interested in fermentation, are quite knowledgeable about some aspects of it, but just don't give a shit about controlling the process beyond a certain level. I like that.
No-one suggests "sterility in our kitchen", that is, simply, ridiculous and impossible.
I own and have read The Joy of Brewing and can say it is very un-scientific.
Alpha Acid % in hops and mash length and temperature are VERY important to brewing beer. It is like stating oven temperature, baking time, type of flour or yeast aren't important when it comes to making bread. Yes, you can make it from a packet without trying to comprehend the process but you will probably be the only one to "enjoy" it.

I would immediately ditch any text that suggests a "sterile" environment is required or to "sterilise" my fermenting equipment, just as I would one that suggests a mead can be fermented in 8 days

Hey, that's very interesting Rurik, thanks!

One frequent difficulty in recreating historical recipes: they don't actually give precise measurements! So it's all often very intuitive.

Cheers for the advice NewtownClown. I'm fairly happy with how my brewing's going at the moment. If there's any brew books you have that you suddenly disagree with feel free to ditch them my way :)

I havent read the book, besides I have made shit beer and I have made great beer without it

You be the judge

TimT said:
Hey, that's very interesting Rurik, thanks!

One frequent difficulty in recreating historical recipes: they don't actually give precise measurements! So it's all often very intuitive.

It is a bit of an art form. You need to make some educated guesses, most of the time you are working with ratios and experience helps. I have to say though once standards of measurements come in it gets easier. The big problem is getting ingredients there has been a big change in manufacture and farming etc. So even if you get the recipe worked out it is just a first step.

Back