Bubbly Gelatin :s

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojai

Reaction score
Hey there good people. I have a lager sitting in my fermenter, the gravity settled at 1.008 so I racked it. I then added gelatin (1 sachet in 100ml of water, as per someone on these forums instructions).

Anyway, throughout primary fermentation my airlock didn't bubble once, probably because my lid wasn't 100% airtight and also because it fermented slow and a lot of the pressure was relieved when I took hydrometer readings. Now it is racked I must have sealed the lid properly and my airlock is bubbling, yet there should be nothing fermenting. I got a bit worried that this being my first lager it might be turning into vodka on me, so I took a hydrometer reading after a couple of days of bubbles and sure enough it's still at 1.008

My question is, does anyone know why it is bubbling? How long it will take until it is safe to bottle? (Today is the fourth day it has been sitting at 5c waiting for the gelatin to do it's thing).

Thanks in advance :)

Sounds like it is just out gassing. Some of the co2 produced throughout fermentation will still be trapped in the beer and changes in temperature will force some out.

The gravity has remained constant so your right to bottle and 4 days should be long enough for the gelatine to do its thing.

Ah okay, that makes sense as the samples I've taken in the hydrometer have progressively taken less time for the froth to settle. Cheers for the help Jye :)

Back