Bubba Keg Mash Tun - Cheap And Sturdy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adzmax

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first thread on AHB :beerbang:

I've decided to make the move to AG and have been looking and reading, reading and looking for a suitable drink cooler to mash in. I was down at K-Mart yesterday and found a cooler called the "Bubba Keg" - yep funny American name huh (Bubba Gump shrimp anyone?). Anyhow I had a good look at the 5 gallon cooler (linky - here) and it looks very solid and seems to have pretty good insulation too - plus it looks like a keg :p

My question is - has anyone seen or used these and I wonder how they compare to the Rubbermaid 5 gallon cooler. At ony $55 on special they are a steal. Almost worth buying one just to check it out.

Edit - OK, just realized it's only 19ltrs. Looks like a Rubbermaid it is - better save that pocket money ;)

clr640_bk_lg.jpg

Mate - looks sweeeet. Only 20L though?

Ahh yes, good point! Bit too small huh!

They look nice but 19L is going to be a bit small. An average 5kg grain bill will fill it which mean you will need to sparge more than twice to get your pre-boil volume.

yea i've just moved from a 20litre bucket. Its ok to mash anything less than 5kg's of grain in, but anything over 5kgs your gonna need bigger IMO.

Unless you are committed to a round esky for some reason, there's no problem with using a rectangular one. They tend to be far cheaper and do just the same job. The only reason I can see for getting a round one is if you want to use a false bottom. :unsure:

Unless you are committed to a round esky for some reason, there's no problem with using a rectangular one. They tend to be far cheaper and do just the same job. The only reason I can see for getting a round one is if you want to use a false bottom. :unsure:

Or you like em round and juicy......

Yeah I've been tossing up on this, I'm guessing you'd use a manifold rather than a false bottom on the square ones yeah?

i've just completed making my mash tun from a 40L esky.

all the parts where available at Bunnings including the ball valve.

It came to $44 and took about 30 minutes to make. Most of that time was cutting the Stainless Steel Braid off the hose.

The best thing is I can always pull it apart and put the esky drain back in if reqired as it didn't damage the unit in any way. The drain unsrews. (that's what I told her anyway!)

My first AG was done on the weekend. A robust porter. I was going to wait until it's ready to drink before I said anything and provide a picture.

It was very easy to do and worth it for the price. I'm an AG brewer now!!

BOG

Back