Brown Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of interest, has anyone tested the claimed 6.5L/min?

I just finished setting mine up last night (using a 9V power supply) and didn't get a chance to test. Not being fully up to speed with the issues of using 9V vs 12V I would assume some sort of loss ... not that it is too much of an issue for me.

yes, mine took 10 seconds to pump out 1l, and that's with a fair bit of resistance from the coil i'd say

I haven't done any stop watch tests but mine seemed about that as well with 0.5m head

Running it on 9v i would say is not adviseable - do the 12v thing as soon as you can.

just for those who arent sure of this amps stuff...
- You CAN use a higher amp rated supply than the 0.57A, such as a 2, 3 or 5 amp etc, as long as its 12 volts dc.
- You shouldnt try a lower rated supply, or your power supply could burn down your brewery.
- If you hooked it to your car battery (which will happy supply hundreds of amps), the pump will still only use 0.57 amps.

Thanks Superoo. So basically, running this pump with a 12V 0.6A power supply is the same as running it with a 12V 2A power supply? The unit will only draw 0.57A?

If I want to throttle back the flow of the pump, would it be best to adjust the flow upstream using a ball valve, or can I hook this up to a 12V dimmer switch (i.e. 0-2A or something like that)?

Thanks Superoo. So basically, running this pump with a 12V 0.6A power supply is the same as running it with a 12V 2A power supply? The unit will only draw 0.57A?

If I want to throttle back the flow of the pump, would it be best to adjust the flow upstream using a ball valve, or can I hook this up to a 12V dimmer switch (i.e. 0-2A or something like that)?

Downstream. Generally it is best to throttle back these sorts of pumps after the outlet, keeps the mechanism full of liquid and all that...

Yeah i agree. With the SMALL issue these pumps have with the priming, i don't reckon they would pump anything at all if you throttled pre-pump.

Out of interest, has anyone tested the claimed 6.5L/min?

I just finished setting mine up last night (using a 9V power supply) and didn't get a chance to test. Not being fully up to speed with the issues of using 9V vs 12V I would assume some sort of loss ... not that it is too much of an issue for me.
This is the pump in operation - pumping 6 litres/minute at 1 metre head have a plastic control tap in-line to restrict the flow to allow the sparge without disturbing the grainbed.

IMGP0754.JPG

Nice looking sparge you've got going there, I ordered one of these pumps the other day and am just waiting on delivery, planning on using it to circulate the wort during a BIAB mash for more consistent temps.

So binned the Xmas lights adaptor and wired up the 12V 1.2a. Plumbed it back in, turned it on and it's running like a boss! Easily existing up the full height of the HLT... Single tier here we come!
Cheers all
:beerbang:

Yeah i agree. With the SMALL issue these pumps have with the priming, i don't reckon they would pump anything at all if you throttled pre-pump.

You'd be surprised, I've had to throttle mine back before AND after the pump with both ball valves only open a crack to get the flow low enough sometimes!

I've got the stainless ones on my March pump - they are BSP and the brass one are FPT, what's the difference? Do these pumps take the same fittings as a March 805 ?

British Standard Pipe

FPT = female [national (ie USA)] pipe thread

I believe the two pipe threads are compatible on some dimensions like 3/8 and 1/2", the difference being the actual profile of the grooves

British Standard Pipe

FPT = female [national (ie USA)] pipe thread

I believe the two pipe threads are compatible on some dimensions like 3/8 and 1/2", the difference being the actual profile of the grooves

Cool. Thanks. Does anyone know if the fittings are the same for this and the march pump? TimF?

1/2" BSP on the brown pump and 1/2" MPT on a march pump, they are not exactly the same but they will take the same fittings, it just happens that 1/2 BSP and 1/2 NPT fit together well enough for low pressure stuff like these pump.

cheers matho

Awesome, thanks Matho. Will go with the stainless ones then. Gonna have me some awesome.

Here's a technical description I found on the web a while ago re. the compatability between NPT and BSP pipe threads (forget where I got it from - but thanks to however wrote it).

NPT_vs_BSP_pipe_thread.jpg

Latest posts

Back