Brown Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score
So i bought one of these pumps so i can take a tier off my 3V gravity and to recirc HLT and chiller water... probably won't use it for wort transfer.

DC-12V-Electric-Centrifugal-Water-Pump-103-GPH-P-38I.JPG.jpg

Anyway how are people wiring these up? I chopped up a 12V power supply from old Christmas lights but it won't even pump from the bottom of the keggle to the top. The power supply says it's pushing out 12V, but the wiring is very thin.

All my fittings are 1/2 inch with 1/2 inch silicone hosing. I connect the hose to the pump with a 1/2 inch barb on both inlet and outlet. With the pump primed before turning on (keep the pump below HLT tap, i let the water flow through the pump then lift the hose of the outlet above the pump) it only creates enough flow for the water to rise up about half way up the outlet hose when i turn the pump on. When i turn it off, the water level lowers to the same as the HLT, so i know it's creating flow, but it's piss weak.

So what's going on? can it not push that amount of water up that level? i'm only asking for it to push the liquid up about 1m. From pics of seen of what others have done, they seem fine. Here's my setup.

post-11186-1318546195_thumb.jpg

I only want fluid to exit the ball valve at the bottom and return via the hose over the lip of the keggle for recirc.

First thoughts are that the power supply is not strong enough, so i'll try and source another enusring it is in fact 12V and 2A

Second thoughts are feck this i'm getting a March 815

Sorry if its an obvious question but did you get the polarity right wiring up the power? + / - on the power supply to + / - on the pump? Best to confirm that with a multimeter too. And what's the mAh rating on your supply?
I'm running one of them plumbed the same to recirc from bottom of tun through a 2m coil so they def have enough power to do it.

Was wondering the same thing - what the mA output on that 12V supply?

Yeah I was thinking not enough amps too.

I have the exact same pump and it's very strong for its size.

Id throw my money behind an airbubble in your line. My pump will often do the same, but a bit of squeezing of the hose and she fires up.
I bet your pump is making a whirring noise as its trying to pump??
When it gets rid of all the airbubbles the note of the pump will drop to a lower, more consistent and constant hum.

I am doing the same thing. 50lt keg HLT, recirculating it and then using to transfer hlt to mashtun. Powered by a power supply in the same fashion.

Any money theres an airbubble, even if you cant see it....

Sorry if its an obvious question but did you get the polarity right wiring up the power? + / - on the power supply to + / - on the pump? Best to confirm that with a multimeter too. And what's the mAh rating on your supply?
I'm running one of them plumbed the same to recirc from bottom of tun through a 2m coil so they def have enough power to do it.
Nah, polarity is right and the fluid is moving, just not enough power. Has to be the amperage

Was wondering the same thing - what the mA output on that 12V supply?
I'll have to have a look... but i suspect it's not 2A... maybe .57A?? Obviously not enough. What would you recommend using?

Yeah I was thinking not enough amps too.

I have the exact same pump and it's very strong for its size.
Good to know it can do it then.

Id throw my money behind an airbubble in your line. My pump will often do the same, but a bit of squeezing of the hose and she fires up.
I bet your pump is making a whirring noise as its trying to pump??
When it gets rid of all the airbubbles the note of the pump will drop to a lower, more consistent and constant hum.

I am doing the same thing. 50lt keg HLT, recirculating it and then using to transfer hlt to mashtun. Powered by a power supply in the same fashion.

Any money theres an airbubble, even if you cant see it....
No, definitely no airbubble... I have heard it with an air bubble and it's louder like you say, but in this instance i let it run straight through and it fills up the pump. Very gentle whir once it's primed.

Thanks for the help... confirmed my suspicions... Looks like i'm just going to have to find a bigger power supply.
:icon_cheers:

I think the rated current on those pumps is 0.57A - is there a reason that you're looking to drive it with a 2A power supply? What's the mA value written on the christmas lights transformer?

+7 power supply.
My power supply is around 13.8 volts at 1 amp and the little brown beastie can shoot rooster tails.
The pump is lower than fill point to prime and flow rate is adjusted at the top of the mash tun inlet.
Hope this helps.
Harry.

I think the rated current on those pumps is 0.57A - is there a reason that you're looking to drive it with a 2A power supply? What's the mA value written on the christmas lights transformer?
I'm not really... just want to power it with what's appropriate. Just want some feedback from others as to what they're using. The same ebay seller is selling 12V 2A so just assumed that was what is recommended for the pump. It looks as though 0.57A is not working, so will get something a bit bigger.

+7 power supply.
My power supply is around 13.8 volts at 1 amp and the little brown beastie can shoot rooster tails.
The pump is lower than fill point to prime and flow rate is adjusted at the top of the mash tun inlet.
Hope this helps.
Harry.

Cool... thanks mate

My local Good Sammy's has a big box of power supplies, 50c each. Good to check out the thrift shops if you're after a power supply for this sort of thing. Otherwise that ebay link is dirt cheap!

:icon_offtopic:
Is anyone using these for wort transfer? They are food grade and rated to 105C - is it the pH that's the worry?

sweet just toddled downstairs to IT and untangled myself 2 power adapters... 1x 12V 1000mA and 1x 12V 1.2A.

Should be sorted now

sweet just toddled downstairs to IT and untangled myself 2 power adapters... 1x 12V 1000mA and 1x 12V 1.2A.

As long as you didn't unplug the network rack or UPS or something to get those power supplies... :rolleyes:

Is anyone using these for wort transfer? They are food grade and rated to 105C - is it the pH that's the worry?
I am - I'll let you know if/when I die of botulism or cancer from it ;)

My local Good Sammy's has a big box of power supplies, 50c each. Good to check out the thrift shops if you're after a power supply for this sort of thing. Otherwise that ebay link is dirt cheap!

:icon_offtopic:

Yes some people are using them for wort transfer. At least during the mash, not sure if anyone is using them for after boil wort transfer of any kind.

I fully intend to use mine for wort transfer pre-boil.

I will of course pump a PBW solution through it afterwards as part of my cleanup and try to get it to dry out as best as possible. Can't see any issues personally.

I am - I'll let you know if/when I die of botulism or cancer from it ;)

Yes some people are using them for wort transfer. At least during the mash, not sure if anyone is using them for after boil wort transfer of any kind.

I fully intend to use mine for wort transfer pre-boil.

I will of course pump a PBW solution through it afterwards as part of my cleanup and try to get it to dry out as best as possible. Can't see any issues personally.

Great, might grab one and try the same. Same as you Mark, I just want one for transfer of HLT to Mash tun, recirc and transfer to kettle. No requirement for it to be used post boil...

Back